Repair kit suggestions

Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
I currently carry a worm kit and a small air compressor. I've never used it on a motorcycle tire.
I don't want to start an best oil thread or which tires, but had anyone experience with a tire repair kit?
I am wondering from those who have actually used one! I still plan on carrying my compressor, but isn't there anything better than worms?

I like the red worms for truck tires. I also carry co2 cartridges and inflator so my compressor doesn't have to do all the work.

Worms work, but replace the package every year. Don't forget the rubber cement - even in metal foil tubes the stuff evaporates. Best to buy new tubes every year too.

The good thing about worms, is if one does not seal the hole, you can insert another. Can't do that w/ mushroom types. I was party to plugging a buddy's tire in a parking lot and using a compressor to bring the tire up to recommended pressure. The worms worked the second time - his fancy mushroom plugger failed to release the rubber plug from the applicator - this was the first try. Cheap old worms to the rescue. Don't forget a couple of single edged razor blades to trim off the excess close to the tread's surface.

I've used worms twice; both held up perfectly on the first go, with fresh cement added. Both times I was near a service station when the puncture happened so I used their compressor. I've not used the CO2 cartridges but I do now carry a compressor. I tested that at home and it took 7 minutes to inflate a 170 rear to 40 psi.

I currently carry a worm kit and a small air compressor. I've never used it on a motorcycle tire.
I don't want to start an best oil thread or which tires, but had anyone experience with a tire repair kit?
I am wondering from those who have actually used one! I still plan on carrying my compressor, but isn't there anything better than worms?
I've used the red gummy worms twice - once on the rear tire of my ST and once on a rear tire of my car. They held up perfectly in both instances.

IIH I didn't trust them on my ST at the time. I had maybe near 2Kmi on it when I picked up a nail. :( One buddy had a plug kit with the worms and the other buddy had a Slime compressor. I was ill prepared except for the choice of riding buddies.

Leaving a gas staion on our way to our hotel for the night one buddy noticed my rear tire looked low - down to 18lbs to be exact. The hotel was right across the street so after checking in we checked out the tire. Found the nail pulled. Plugged the tire with two worms (one probably would have been fine) and lots of goop. Trimmed the worms Slimed the tire to 50psi then went to dinner and called it a night.

The next morning found the tire still at 50psi. Lowered it to 42 and road off. I think we put another 700mi or so on it and got to Helena where I had the tire replaced. This was my only error (besides not having a plug kit and compressor. The Supershop didn't have the ST's size so sold me a tire close but in not for the ST's weight. They told me about the size difference but not the weight range.

Lessons learned:
have a plug kit and compressor on my bike
have a TPMS
be very wary of what a dealer tells you
and - I should have ridden that plugged tire to the wear bars.

There was really no reason to replace it. If I was worried I should have had them patch it from the inside and then ride it to the wear bars. Not replace it. Unless a puncture is severe or in a sidewall (which is severe) I have no qualms about plugging it and RTTWB. One member here even plugged a sidewall puncture and road it a short distance with due care and caution.

I like the red worms for truck tires. I also carry co2 cartridges and inflator so my compressor doesn't have to do all the work.
I'd pretty much dismissed CO2 cartridges until somebody (here I think) mentioned larger 45gm (?) cartridges. I think using those and topping off with a compressor might be doable.

I told my buddies about replacing the glue annually but I wouldn't bother with the worms unless they were very old or bone dry. Those used on my ST were over two years old. The goop was under one and a fresh tube as the previous one had been used up.

I bought a compact kit, I think from Harbor Freight, that has a complete plugging and patching kit, a pressure gauge, spare valve fores and caps, a valve-core tool, etc., and I carry a small compressor with a clamp-on, quick-release chuck.

I'd pretty much dismissed CO2 cartridges until somebody (here I think) mentioned larger 45gm (?) cartridges. I think using those and topping off with a compressor might be doable.

I told my buddies about replacing the glue annually but I wouldn't bother with the worms unless they were very old or bone dry. Those used on my ST were over two years old. The goop was under one and a fresh tube as the previous one had been used up.
I know it's doable. I've done it and I use the regular size ones.

I carry the Stop and Go mushroom plugger kit and compressor.
Have used it on the bike , lawnmower and car with 100% success. All were punctures from nails.

Just used the motivations tire repair kit 2weeks ago had it stored on bike for 10 years . well My first flat on my ST . As luck would have I was about an 1/8 mile from my sisters house when the dreaded weave happened .The back was going down quick . Limp it there .Nice hole dead center back tire. Dug out kit has reamer,worms,glue ,nice t handle plug inserter .and two large co2 cartridge's got repaired all items were still as new. Inflated with compressor. got me home .New Tire now .All's good.

The 45 gm CO2 cartridges can be the only way home if you have to replace a tire valve on the road. I use metal valve stems now, but had to do this once some years ago because there was a bad batch of rubber stems that were cracking. I got one. It required breaking the bead on the wheel to get the replacement valve stem in. I used a 45 gram CO2 can with the valve core removed and a Helen TwoWheels luggage strap tightened like a tourniquet around the circumference to seat the bead. This ain't happening with a 12v pump. The outside of the CO2 bottle had ice on it after the shot.

Worms rule. I quit carrying the Stop-n-go mushroom kit. The tool takes up too much space and weight. I quit carrying the Dynaplug because I didn't get good results with it. I crammed all the worms I had into a big tire slash from a shale rock on the Dempster Highway and out we came.

DSC00208-S.jpg

If you carry a standard worm kit I recommend you get the typw with the T-handle reamer/inserter. Very much easier to use then the screwdriver handle type.

+1 on replacing the glue tube every other year, or after a single use. Once that cap seal is popped you got a few weeks at most before the rest of the glue hardens.

Worms (preferrably red ones if you can find them), two t-handles of decent quality (reamer and plug inserter), a small tube of rubber cement, and a 12 volt compressor of some sort. And if you have an extra $50 or so, a TPMS so you can monitor your plugging once you are on the road. If it still leaks a little, you can stop periodically and add air before it becomes too flat to get it up on the center stand. ;)

Reactions: T_C
Back
Top Bottom