Replacement battery needed

Bike
ST1300
An anyone recommend a decent replacement battery for my pan as I am not paying £210 for a genuine Honda battery and don't want a Motobatt battery as I have at present and that is failing just outside of the warrenty.

Bike
VStrom 650
You should be able to get hold of a Yuasa for about £70.00. Have a look on eBay, local bike shop etc, there's nothing wrong with Yuasa's and with the right care should last year's.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 ST1300
All manufactured items are designed to fail just outside the warranty period. Extended warranties are simply an insurance policy - and insurance companies do not lose money (or they go out of business and are not insurance companies any more).

Wherever you buy your battery, I'd suggest an AGM lead acid type over a flooded battery. Should you consider a lithium ion battery, add in the cost of a special charger. The Shorai that I just bought recommends their charger which has a 5 wire connector that plugs into the battery. It analyzes each of the 4 cells, balances them for highest efficiency and has a store option for long periods of no use. This battery plus the charger adds up to around your quoted number in USD. Other generic lithium chargers are available, but they tend to be very expensive. From what I've read, simple chargers that don't balance the cell voltages are not as good for the battery over its lifetime.

My battery is less than a year old and dying a slow death (Yuasa) I have been doing some research and here is what i found...
Dealership wants a little over $200 for a Yuasa battery they could not tell me what kind (flooded or AGM) The Honda part # is just a few $ cheaper but still over $200.
NAPA, Advance and Walmart (store) do not list a battery for the ST, I's not saying they don't have one its just not listed in their book or computer.
O'riley has a AMG battery for $101 with a core exchange, the ST is listed in their computer.
Auto Zone can get one it's a special order $249.
I don't think I can justify the additional expense of a Lithium battery at over $200 plus you have to buy a new charger.
So far it looks like O'riley's is the best option.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
There have been several posts here that mention the replacement Yuasa battery does not last as long as the OEM Yuasa. Personally, I have experienced a non OEM Yuasa lasting only 3 years. I have taken to using aftermarket batteries and find them satisfactory, especially when taking price into consideration. Many places will not list the ST specifically, but all you need is the YTZ-14S designation for dimensions and post placement.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
An anyone recommend a decent replacement battery for my pan as I am not paying £210 for a genuine Honda battery and don't want a Motobatt battery as I have at present and that is failing just outside of the warrenty.
Try your local motor factor - I use Mill Auto and they have Yuasa batteries at very good prices. Regards Eric

Amazon has the same Yuasa battery as the dealership has for about $125, I'm just not sure it's worth the extra $$. The O'Riley's is just a few miles up the road. I may consider the Lithium for $110, are they that much better and how long do they last?

Bike
2000 ST1100
This April I went to the Honda dealer and bought a OEM Yuasa battery to replace my 9 year old Yuasa battery that had failed. Paid 75.00 US Dollars.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
A couple choices:
Interstate Cycletron Plus FAYTX14 $74
Battery Mart Big Crank ETX-14 $84

edit .. just noticed that you are asking re ST1300. sorry, the above are 1100 size, but should also be available in 1300 size.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Shouldn;t need a charger for the lithium, unless you run it down. It'll hold it's charge for the winter lay-up, if you do torture your bike by making it stay inside. ;)

I don't think there is a flooded version of the YTZ-14s, at least I have never seen one or heard of anyone using it.
I went with lithium a few years ago, moved my big lithium to the trailer and bought a smaller one for the bike, last year, been great so far.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Wherever you buy your battery, I'd suggest an AGM lead acid type over a flooded battery.
Can you even buy a flooded cell battery any more? I haven't seen one on a shelf anywhere in years. They don't come up in my searches for ST batteries either.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bike
2010 ST1300
Can you even buy a flooded cell battery any more? I haven't seen one on a shelf anywhere in years. They don't come up in my searches for ST batteries either.
I really don't know. I've been dealing w/ a small company in town for all my car and bike batteries for the last 35 years or so. A real old time company that has skids of batteries and probably a zillion 'violations' according to environmental and OSHA rules. They have honored their warranties and have always been significantly cheaper than the auto parts/big box stores. When I was shopping for my ST battery shortly after I bought it ('13) I'm pretty sure they had them then. Now? I'm using a Shorai and would probably not go back, so who knows?

Bike
2006 ST1300
I had a Scorpion battery which lasted 7 + years, made in Vietnam, when it started to look dicey, I looked into them again, but they are now made in China. I did some looking, and got a Chrome battery. 32$ to the door. I have one in my Helix, going on 4 years now, and it works fine. ( knock on wood). I do use a Battery Minder on a timer on both bikes, especially when not riding all the time. The Minder mainly is used on the ST, since the scooter gets an almost daily workout.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

st1300doug

40 months on this. Still cranking good. I do use a Battery Tender & bike is in a garage .

Attachments

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I picked up this Yuasa off Amazon, the H in the part number designates a higher capacity compared to a normal battery. Supposed to he better anyway...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000N5ST3C?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

It comes with a dry case and 6 tubes of battery acid that you will fill the case with once you're ready to use the battery.

Dale, I see that battery is about 1.5" fatter and about $50 more than the smaller capacity standard YTZ14S battery. How is the fit? I don't understand why it'd be that much cheaper....?

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dale, I see that battery is about 1.5" fatter and about $50 more than the smaller capacity standard YTZ14S battery. How is the fit? I don't understand why it'd be that much cheaper....?
I think the spec sheet may be off. Those batteries are the same size. It fit in just like the old one came out and the old one went into the box of the new one for safe keeping. No difference in size at all.

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I think the spec sheet may be off. Those batteries are the same size. It fit in just like the old one came out and the old one went into the box of the new one for safe keeping. No difference in size at all.
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Top Bottom