Boots Resole or replace

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I've had my Aplinestars multiair gore-tex XCR boots for several years now.
They are my 1st M/C specific boots ever, and I have been very happy with them.
4166886C-2262-46A7-B8A0-07D8E699EE8E.jpeg5D71EFD5-53D1-43EB-905E-07BCAAA5AA6B.jpeg
They still keep me feet dry. I'm not sure how long the uppers last on these (yet).
Resole or replace, Thanks.

Attachments

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
You might find it's cheaper to replace them vs having them resoled (if you can even find a cobbler to resole them)

(which is a pity that we throw away repairable things because "new costs less")

You would want a sole that is oil and slip resistant.

Bike
2010 ST1300
+1 on @Obo's comment. If you have a good relationship with an old time shoe repair guy, replace the soles. He can guide and give you good advice. BUT...how many of us even know where to find a run of the mill cobbler? It is too easy for a ho hum shoe mechanic to completely change the character of a good pair of boots or shoes and you might not be happy after spending appreciable bucks. Unless you can get personal referrals or know the guy yourself, I'd think new is the more reliable way to go.

I took a nearly worn out pair of LL Bean slippers to a local repair guy. I explained what I wanted, (some sewing on an opened seam) and the resulting repair looked so crude to me that I was appalled the guy would allow that work to exit his shop. I never went back. A second shop quoted an exorbitant price for resoling a pair of work boots. I have not looked for another in over 25 years... as far as I'm concerned the good ones have all disappeared.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm in a similar situation with my Sidi's. The soles started coming unglued and I used FlexGlue to glue them back. Your soles look hardly worn enough to warrant replacement. I took mine to a shoe repair, and he said he couldn't do it and to send them back for resole. I looked online and there are some places that specialize in this, but they may take a couple weeks. Then I found some YouTube videos on how it's done. In my case the soles are just glued on. They can be pulled off and replaced with new Sidi soles. I just received a new pair of soles from Revzilla and will replace them when they get a little further along. I don't know if yours are glued or sewn, but if they are glued on you might be able to do it yourself.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If you want to give resole a try, have a look at the below. Resole America is a Sidi authorized repair facility, but they they do all kinds of footwear. They have several locations, so have a look and see if they have one closer to you.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My SMX-S Alpinestars had soles that were worn to the point of being dangerously un-grippy on smooth asphalt. Too much time riding on the balls of my feet on the bare alloy pegs of my MT-10 caused it, although the uppers were in perfect (and still waterproof) condition. My local store had a sale so I just replaced them with another set of the same.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I wear Thorogood work boots, and although they are pricey, they are really comfy, and come in narrow widths ( or used to, they stopped making narrow widths). I have a couple pair, and I just got one pair resoled at NuShoe (NuShoe.com). The work took a while, and it seems like they lack really good communication skills, but the quality was VERY good. It was $120 to get a pair resoled, and polished/waxed. They look great. I felt it was worth it, since I can no longer get my size in these boots, and they retail for 240.

YMMV.

Top Bottom