Riding Clothes/Gear for Kids

Gamecock

Hey Y'all, Watch This!
Bike
2006 FJR
Now that my son is tall enough to reach the passenger pegs and coordinated enough to know when to hang on, when to lean, etc. I've begun to let him ride with me in the pillion position. I've found, and I bet many of you have found, it very difficult to find armored street-riding pants and jackets in kids sizes. No problem at all finding dirt-bike riding apparel and armor, but good luck finding something in kids sizes comparable to what I wear on the FJR. I did finally manage to find a youth-sized touring jacket from Duchinni on Amazon. I ordered one for my 11 year old son and was pretty impressed with the apparent quality. I would rate the quality, in fact, a little better than the First Gear jacket I recently ordered for myself. The jacket has a lot of size adjustments and even has a full circumference zipper around the sleeves that can be unzipped to add an additional inch or so in sleeve length. So, I think this jacket will last him until he is large enough to fit into women's small sizes (in something other than pink and light blue, of course).

I still haven't found a great solution for the pants, however. For now, some heavy duty Carhartt pants over motocross knee pads will have to work. He doesn't much care for the look or the hassle of putting them on, but that's the price he has to pay in order for Mom to agree to let him ride. If any of you have found some great kids riding pants, I'd love to hear your suggestions/reviews.

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
Now that my son is tall enough to reach the passenger pegs and coordinated enough to know when to hang on, when to lean, etc. I've begun to let him ride with me in the pillion position.
I have been instructed, and it is my experience, that the passenger should not lean at all. From the operator's perspective, the passenger should be considered part of the bike without unexpected shifts of weight. The passenger should simply sit back, become part of the bike, and enjoy the ride and scenery.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
I have been instructed, and it is my experience, that the passenger should not lean at all. From the operator's perspective, the passenger should be considered part of the bike without unexpected shifts of weight. The passenger should simply sit back, become part of the bike, and enjoy the ride and scenery.
My brother's advice to my wife when we started riding together:

" Act like luggage. Don't move."

OP
OP
Gamecock

Gamecock

Hey Y'all, Watch This!
Bike
2006 FJR
That's fine advice and a good point. I wasn't speaking so much to actively leaning as if we're a team riding the bike. I was speaking more to a child's coordination and the unconscious and reflexive body adjustments a passenger makes to stay on the motorcycle as g-forces do what g-forces do. Unlike luggage, a passenger isn't strapped to the bike. And like unsecured luggage, a child too young to hang on and adjust his body position risks ending up on the side of the road.

At any rate, he's old enough and coordinated enough to ride with me now and I've solved the difficult problem of finding him an appropriate riding jacket.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Years ago we purchased youth motocross pants for my daughter, then added pads in knees and hips. A good dose of camp spray helped to waterproof them somewhat.

If you don't already have an intercom I HIGHLY suggest that you get one! Being able to clearly and easily talk with your youngster while the two of you learn to ride together is essential.

Here is a site in the UK that sells youth-sized gear: www.jsaccessories.co.uk/shop/clothing/kids.htm

Enjoy the journey! Some of my best times with Breann have been sharing moto adventures with her!

Bike
Suzuki Bandit 250
Unfortunately, the link above doesn't work anymore. I'm looking for this kind of clothes for my son. Can anyone recommend a good source?

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
For my grandsons, I picked up some second hand ladies XS and small gear, till they get big enough to fit the smaller men’s sizes.

So far no issues getting gear to fit.

Bike
R1200rt

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Unfortunately, the link above doesn't work anymore. I'm looking for this kind of clothes for my son. Can anyone recommend a good source?
They still sell kids riding gear, street and dirt.
You need to look around in the different sections of their website.

Try the below to get you started.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Another great items for kids is a grab belt. The driver wears it and the child (or any pillion) can hold on if they need / want to.

Great for those who can't get a bear hug grip on you when riding.

I've had one since my kids were small and the Mrs liked it too on previous bikes. The kids are grown now and the Mrs doesn't really use it on the ST, but it's still a decent bit of kit.

1688986703488.png1688986725013.png

Some great recommendations here. I need to find new clothes for my children and was just reading Saks Fifth Avenue reviews https://saks-fifth-avenue.pissedconsumer.cоm/review.html. They seem to have a lot of great models for a good prices. Why all the reviews are so bad? It will definitely not stop me for placing my order. Just very curious. What is your opinion on this one?

Last edited:
Top Bottom