Armor Roadcrafter Armor Upgrade?

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
The armor in my Roadcrafter 2-piece riding suit (shoulders, elbows and knees) seems to be stiffer and less comfortable. The suit is in it's 9th year of use and other than the red fading away wherever the sun hits it, it's in good shape. Although it's possible the aging process may have effected me as much as the armor . . . I'm thinking I can actually do something about the reduced flexibility of the armor.

Has anyone replaced/upgraded the armor in their Roadcrafter? Recommendations/thoughts/suggestions/comments appreciated.

Shuey

Edit: Suit is in it's 9th year not 6th . . . time flies when we're having fun!

Last edited:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Yes, except I went to the hard shell, stiffer TF6 armor, so I guess that's of little use to you. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Yes, except I went to the hard shell, stiffer TF6 armor, so I guess that's of little use to you. :rolleyes:
It's primarily the elbow armor that bothers me. It seems much less flexible and . . . uncomfortable.
Shuey

Bike
2010 ST1300
I pulled the armor out of my two suits (both one piece) and jacket two weeks ago to wash them all. One is dated '01, another '02, and the jacket '07. All of the armor pieces - elbow, knee, shoulder were interchangeable - absent color differences they were all very similar in feel. Btw, pulling these out and replacing them is a non trivial task. In order to insert these pieces in the pockets, almost every one had to be squeezed and or compressed somewhat.

You might give Aerostitch a call and talk to them, their customer service is first rate. (Well, it was a few years ago when I called them.) Since the armor is inside the suit, it is not subject to deterioration from UV light, so I'm surprised yours have aged.

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I pulled the armor out of my two suits (both one piece) and jacket two weeks ago to wash them all. One is dated '01, another '02, and the jacket '07. All of the armor pieces - elbow, knee, shoulder were interchangeable - absent color differences they were all very similar in feel. Btw, pulling these out and replacing them is a non trivial task. In order to insert these pieces in the pockets, almost every one had to be squeezed and or compressed somewhat.

You might give Aerostitch a call and talk to them, their customer service is first rate. (Well, it was a few years ago when I called them.) Since the armor is inside the suit, it is not subject to deterioration from UV light, so I'm surprised yours have aged.
All good comments, thanks. This is my 4th Roadcrafter . . . crash tested the previous three. I'm definitely a fan. I remove the armor every year to wash the suit, reinstall (fold, compress, insert, smooth out the armor pocket - you're right, somewhat difficult), recoat with Scotchguard to waterproof and I'm good for another year.

I've been to the factory several times and agree their customer service is 1st class. I'll be giving them a call this week for their opinions/suggestions.

Thanks for the response, much appreciated,
Shuey

Bike
2010 ST1300
recoat with Scotchguard to waterproof and I'm good for another year.
I use Nikwax - they make a tech wash and a spray on. The tech wash is a one step waterproofing wash. Google it and read about it.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I upgraded the armor in my 'Stich to the TF5 two years ago. Yes it is stiffer and I have to position the shoulder pieces correctly or they are uncomfortable.

I wash my suit (R3 lit) twice a year with Nikwax Techwash. Remove the armour and magnets as per instructions.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Magnets . . . what magnets? Just curious.
Shuey
I think the new jacket uses a magnet at the neck in front instead of velcro. My friend bought a new one about a year ago and I was surprised when he showed me the magnets. But, I'm not sure if they were at the neck or somewhere else.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yup, the new ‘stiches use rare earth magnets to hold down the collar. Even has a recommendation for those with pace makers to remove them. I have the R3 with the upgraded TF5 armor. Is less flexible than the armor I had in my Sedichi and Joe Rocket gear.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
You must remove the powerful rare earth magnets in the collar of the 'stich suits before you wash the suit. If you don't they will stick the suit to the tank of your washing machine. This would probably damage both the suit and possibly the washing machine.

Top Bottom