Rotor Resurfacing vs New Rotors

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
A ST1300 owner stopped by two summers ago,,, because his brakes "didn't sound right ". Just feeling the rear rotor indicated that he had no pad left there, with the left side worse than the right,,, slightly. The LH surface was fairly skuffed and galled,,, but he had someone do a standard brake job,, and after a weeks riding, you couldn't tell there had been damage to the surfaces,, and there was not evidence of warping.

Also,,, Blue STar got a new-ish ctx rear rotor off of E-bay,,, that had about 100km on it,,, for about $40.us. The OEM rotor was worn to minimum,,, after about 240k km's,,, but was still running straight. I only changed it because it was a good price and opportunity, while doing a tire change, and new pads and drive cushions and bearing/seals anyway.

Blue STar's front rotors are on min. now as well,, although they are still running fine. I have purchased a used set off ebay ($100.us), which were advertised to be just under max.,,, due to being parted off a late model, low mileage bike. They have not been delivered yet,,, so the condition remains to be confirmed. But this is a good example of patient shopping, as I had been watching out for a decent used set for about 18 months.

btw,,, Blue STar is recovering nicely,,, but is still in the ICU. But the border is reopening in a couple of weeks,,, allowing me to retrieve a pile of needed replacement parts. To pass the time between physio sessions,,, I have been exercising Thunder STruck regularly (no make that constantly),,, and will soon put it away with just over 10k km's logged since Aug 1st. I must say,,, this 2012 is really impressive. There are only a couple of more riding days left in my season,,, according to the forecast. When the road salt goes down,,, the bike/s almost always go away,,, and then ski season begins !! Cheers,,, CAt'

ps: great deals on parts are out there,,, but prior planning,,, patience,,, and some good luck are often required.

20211006_211627.jpg20211025_195914.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'm sure that stainless steel brake lines offer some advantages over OEM ones, but if you can lock up the wheels (make the ABS system activate) using the existing OEM brake lines, what's the point of gilding the lily by installing stainless steel lines?
Their main advantage is they provide better feedback while braking because they don't flex like the OEM rubber lines.

That being said, from what I understand about the ABS2 bikes is there are a lot of brake hose sections, so replacing them with SS lines can get quite expensive. And if there's a lot of short sections the OEM hoses may not flex a lot to begin with, so the differences may be minimal. Add in the ABS modulating everything anyway, and it may not be worth it.

On a non-ABS bike with a couple of simple brake lines, they're definitely an improvement.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I'm sure that stainless steel brake lines offer some advantages over OEM ones, but if you can lock up the wheels (make the ABS system activate) using the existing OEM brake lines, what's the point of gilding the lily by installing stainless steel lines?
Michael
Hi Michael, I agree with you, it's not a priority, but it could be a significant upgrade.
In my own experience and especially for heavy bikes, it is very noticeable (upgraded several BMW K1100LT with great results)
Braided steel lines are improving the braking control feeling (line expansion under pressure) and the braking action speed (bite) and provide a better braking endurance (Brake fluid fade).
I am thinking sometime about upgrading my ST this way but I am too lazy to go on...

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
If bike rotors are like car rotors & drums having them turned(resurfaced) may expose hard spots,& give you chatter.I’d put new Honda pads on,clean the pistons as suggested,flush the brakes,& ride.

Bike
97 ST1100A
2024 Miles
Just as a heads up, as I understand it, the minimum thickness for the ABS 2 rear disc is 6.5 mm and not 6mm as with all other models as the disc is specific to this bike. Also, unlike the standard ST, it is not the same as the GL 1500 as it has a smaller diameter. Just for info.

Top Bottom