Scala Rider G9 and a Bluetooth dongle

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I've done a fair amount of research and I believe I have settled on the Scala G9 to replace my Autocom. My intention was to continue to use my Garmin 2730 and use a dongle to pair it to the G9. I emailed Cardo and asked for their recommendation on dongles and was a bit surprised at their response. It seems Cardo can't recommend any dongle since all the ones they have tried haven't worked well.

Anyone had a different/better experience with a G9 and a dongle?

I tried a Dongle with my Q2-Pro... It worked well until the mike is keyed, either from an incoming call, the intercom, or sometimes the wind, then the Dongle drops the connection. The problem is...you have to stop and re-pair the units every time.. Very much a hassle.

Holy moley!!! Someone has a lot more know-how and guts than me to tear apart at brand new, $300 unit!!!

It looks like that article focused on turning the AUX 3.5mm jack into a jack for earbuds, which I'm also interested in. Thanks for the info!

I have G4 and G9. I modified my G4 to take auxiliary jack for Shure noise isolating ear buds ($175). Bottom line, I'm into long range touring (at least that's what I outfitted the bike to do). Ear buds hurt after 3-4 hours, and the music goes from amazing to an irritant. My modified G4 eventually failed on the road and I replaced it with a G9. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have done the modification. Also, if I were to do it again I'd use jacks with ability to switch back to helmet speakers when the ear bud jack is removed. My final configuration is use of a $40 Garmin application on my iPhone for navigation. The iPhone Bluetooth G9 link gives me telephone communication from my helmet, navigation audio, navigation video, iPhone sourced music (over helmet speakers); intercom with my wife's stock G4. The Garmin iPhone App gives me GPS location, mapping, highway speed limits and vehicle speed, etc, etc etc. When I want music on shorter rides, I put my iPhone in my pocket. The G9 establish a mobile Bluetooth link automatically. I wear the Shure ear buds using my iPod mounted in an X mount holder between my handlebars. If I get a call, I pause the iPod; call ends - un-pause.

When not listening to music, using the G9-iPhone-Garmin App combination, I enjoy the wireless operation.

Okay, what you're doing is exactly the road I want to go down. I had considered ditching the Garmin altogether and putting my iPhone 5 in a waterproof case, but I balked at the idea of using Apple Maps for my navigation. I'm hoping you can answer a few questions for me. If you are streaming music (Pandora, for example) and using the Garmin app, will the Garmin app override Pandora for audio, meaning you can't use both of them simultaneously? What about stored music? Will the Garmin app talk over the top of your iTunes?

My other concern is I have a 16GB iPhone 5 and I'm afraid there's not enough memory for the Garmin app, but I'll have to go look.

I use an iPhone-5 16G; Garmin App takes 2.0 GB. I have to keep my pictures winnowed down to make it all work. G9 allows you to set order of preference. I'll be listening to music (iPhone sourced) and navigation will give me directions over top of music; phone call blocks out both. Phone call over; music comes back on. I have been an iPhone fan, but have retracted that position. The new software's have ruined the phone. I think I will be going to a Samsung Galaxie note 3 . . . but not for a while. I bring up the softwares because I no longer trust the applications to work as they have. After I upgraded the iPhone Software, I had to reload various Apps. Everything is a compromise, but I put a lot money and time in this, and resolved where I am at.

It's been a great bike. I stole it from its original owner in October of 2008. Poor guy needed to sell it to make his house payment and was literally calling me daily asking me to buy it from him. Best phone calls I've ever received! Last year I did the saddle sore 1000 and this next June she'll be running hard on the Iron Butt Association Border to Border run.

Interesting to hear your take on the iPhone. I switched to Apple because of the unreliability of the Andriod devices. I've been pleased with the 5, but the 16gb was a mistake. So was downloading the new iOS 7. Not a fan.

I did some reading and found the Sena SM10 will pair reasonably well with the G9. Nice unit. It accepts two inputs and broadcasts to two separate Bluetooth sources. This is nice for sharing music with my wife from the XM equipped Garmin 2730 I own and don't want to replace. It will also allow me to plug in my Valentine One.

http://youtu.be/P-DtAJSOWTg

Top Bottom