Sena 10S - Intermittent connection with right speaker

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Ever since I moved my Sena 10S headset from my open face helmet to my new AGV, I can't get a stable connection with the right helmet speaker.

I've narrowed it down to something going on with the connection between the Bluetooth unit itself and the base it mounts to. The pins in the unit don't make sufficient contact with the connections in the base. From what I can visually tell, there's no corrosion issues between the two, and the pins on the Bluetooth unit are all intact and "springy" as they should be.

If I apply downward pressure to the Bluetooth portion while it's mounted in the base, then I can get the right speaker to work. But if I let up on the pressure, the speaker stops producing sound. I've tried adjusting the tightness of the base's mounting plate, to see if I can tweak the tightness of the fit to improve contact, but there doesn't seem to be any sweet spot that I can settle on.

At this point, I'm uncertain which of the two pieces is more likely to be the culprit, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Has anyone else had an issue like this, where suddenly you can't get stable contact anymore?

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I have had on and off connectivity problems at times with my SMH10 unit. A few taps on the the head unit usually rectifies it. Sometimes I need to grab the unit and give it a good wiggle to get it to connect again.

You might also try folding up an index card and wedging it between the helmet and the bracket to see if that makes a better connection to the head unit.

Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #
Ever since I moved my Sena 10S headset from my open face helmet to my new AGV, I can't get a stable connection with the right helmet speaker.

I've narrowed it down to something going on with the connection between the Bluetooth unit itself and the base it mounts to. The pins in the unit don't make sufficient contact with the connections in the base. From what I can visually tell, there's no corrosion issues between the two, and the pins on the Bluetooth unit are all intact and "springy" as they should be.

If I apply downward pressure to the Bluetooth portion while it's mounted in the base, then I can get the right speaker to work. But if I let up on the pressure, the speaker stops producing sound. I've tried adjusting the tightness of the base's mounting plate, to see if I can tweak the tightness of the fit to improve contact, but there doesn't seem to be any sweet spot that I can settle on.

At this point, I'm uncertain which of the two pieces is more likely to be the culprit, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Has anyone else had an issue like this, where suddenly you can't get stable contact anymore?
Hi Dave here
I am a STAR SENA Dealer, First where did you get the 10S units ? when did you get them ? if they are with in the warranty period
you should be able to return them to the MFG. for a free replacement. Did you register them on SENA's website when you got them?
You may be able to return them to the dealer you bought them from for replacement. If all this fails you could try replacing the helmet
mounting unit, SENA part number #10S-A0301

OP
OP
Shawn K

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Dave,

Had 'em for years, bought them off my dad, they're way past warranty.

I avoid Sena customer service these days because they don't have a good reputation and my personal experiences with them in the past were bad.

What I'm trying to find out is if anyone else has had this problem, and if they have, what they did to remedy it. At this point, I don't know enough about this unit to know if the Bluetooth receiver or the base is more likely to be the culprit.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Riding buddy had an intermittent connection to his speakers after he switched a 20S from one helmet to another. He had attached it to the helmet using the clamp that is tightened with screws so if you used the adhesive pad this may not apply. He eventually figured out that he overtightened the screws and this excess pressure was distorting the base unit. He loosened the screws and re-tightened them to just snug enough to be sure that the unit was secure and has not had a problem since.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shawn K

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I'm feeling like that's what's going on with me, too, but I can't seem to find the sweet spot for it.

I noticed that whereas my HJC open-face helmet had a smoother profile where the base clamped on, my AGV has sort of a "step" in it that keeps the Sena base from sitting as flush. I'm wondering if that's part of my problem - that when I tighten the clamp, the base is getting bowed a little bit.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Try filling the step in with a spacer of some kind just so that you have a flat surface on both sides of the helmet to clamp to. That is what he did- he cut some rubber up to make shims with.

OP
OP
Shawn K

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I think you may be right. I'll give that a try. I think I have an old bicycle inner tube that I can cut up to make some rubber shim.

Earl43P

Wrencher turned Rider
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
I had this problem with my 10S. The electrical contacts board bonded in the base mounted to the helmet is disbonded. When it gets worse, you lose its antenna function and can't receive radio stations. Yes, SENA uses the extra length of the right side speaker wires in the helmet for the radio antenna.

After several failed attempts to De-shim by shaving off rubber from the mount, I simply lengthened the two right speakers' spring contacts on the module using a soldering iron. Didn't take much solder, more like "tinning".

A new helmet set should fix it.

I was disturbed to learn that these modules are somehow NOT backwards compatible. Can't use a 10H module with the 10S helmet set, and vice versa, even though they mate up fine otherwise. Poor engineering, or planned obsolescence?

AJMeister

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Goldwing DCT
I am having the same issue with my 20S EVO that I bought just over a year ago. Somewhere on this forum I read how to properly clean the contacts but I can’t find that post.

Can I simply use alcohol swabs or will that damage the seals? Everything was working well last year but now riding season is getting closer and I am running into this issue.

Andreas

I am having the same issue with my 20S EVO that I bought just over a year ago. Somewhere on this forum I read how to properly clean the contacts but I can’t find that post.

Can I simply use alcohol swabs or will that damage the seals? Everything was working well last year but now riding season is getting closer and I am running into this issue.

Andreas
Yep, my 20s pair did the same. I cleaned the contact strip and the pins with isopropyl alcohol and a cleaning bud, which helped. Then I discovered there is a waterproofing gasket (neoprene?) around the pins on the helmet base. This gasket swells and deteriorates with age, preventing the pins from making contact.
I rubbed away the rotten parts of the gasket and now everything works fine....BUT the waterproofing has been compromised. I don't normally ride much in the rain so I don't care. But you might

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Take a look at the copper colored pads on the helmet clamp that the pogo pins seat on. After several years of almost daily use, mine wore through on one of the pads, and many were worn pretty well. I had to scavenge a new helmet clamp.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
had one and like above used solder, but on the pads... just a wipe of solder on the contact pad made it thicker. then sanded it down flat. Work fine.
Of course no warranty and if it didn't work it was a replace. It does take a good small tip and steady hand too...and it was a small amount

Did you manage to solve the problem Shawn? After searching the net for god knows how long this is the 1st time I found something that is the exact issue I am having. I even bought a replacement speaker headset and it was good for about a week but then the connection issue came back. I sent it back, got another replacement but still no good so it is the camera unit connection side that must be dodgy. Like you said, you need to find the sweet spot but once you let go, sound goes. Contacted Sena and a waste of time. Went to 5 or 6 computer repair shops and they did not know how to fix it. So frustrating!

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Interesting... my Sena 10S occasionally has the same right-speaker issue. I thought I'd stressed a wire or something. Thanks guys.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Did you manage to solve the problem Shawn? After searching the net for god knows how long this is the 1st time I found something that is the exact issue I am having. I even bought a replacement speaker headset and it was good for about a week but then the connection issue came back. I sent it back, got another replacement but still no good so it is the camera unit connection side that must be dodgy. Like you said, you need to find the sweet spot but once you let go, sound goes. Contacted Sena and a waste of time. Went to 5 or 6 computer repair shops and they did not know how to fix it. So frustrating!
Interesting... my Sena 10S occasionally has the same right-speaker issue. I thought I'd stressed a wire or something. Thanks guys.
See post 15 of this thread.

Top Bottom