Sensor wire sheath melted/melting

Bike
'03 ST1300
There is a sensor located on the lower part of the engine on the right side, behind the headers. It sticks straight out and the wires go towards the rear. They have a sheating but it looks all heat damaged and melted. No FI lights or anything but I'm concerned the covering may sooner or later melt off. It doesn't touch anything, rather is being affected by radiant heat only. Is there something to wrap it with? Or has it gotten as bad as it will get and not cause a problem. (03 with 94000kms.)

Attachments

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
That's one of the knock sensors. There's another just like it on the other side.

The wiring in that area is one place where I think Honda dropped the ball, because it seems that it has to be routed exactly right to miss the heat. A few have had the insulation melt and at least one has wrapped that stretch of wire in metal foil, which should help. [-]This seems like a perfect application for fuel line heat shielding if you could find some that's big enough to pull over the connector at the end of the wire.[/-] Better: use foil heat shielding tape.

If the wire is damaged, it's on a small sub-harness that costs less than $40 to replace.

--Mark

Bike
03, 10 ST1300A
Eventually it WILL fail. Giving you the dreaded FI code.

And when it's running so rich, gas mileage goes down down.

Replace it soon

Corey

I acquired an 07 ST and doing all the neglected maintenance I found the engine knock wiring starting to melt. No heat shield on the headers to shield the wiring. I wrapped the headers down to the lower bend and coated them with a silicon based high temp engine paint. Hopefully this will shield the wiring. The heat in that area seems cooler. Riding the ST gets hot will have to do the insulation before summer here in TX...

I acquired an 07 ST and doing all the neglected maintenance I found the engine knock wiring starting to melt. No heat shield on the headers to shield the wiring. I wrapped the headers down to the lower bend and coated them with a silicon based high temp engine paint. Hopefully this will shield the wiring. The heat in that area seems cooler. Riding the ST gets hot will have to do the insulation before summer here in TX...

Attachments

That's one of the knock sensors. There's another just like it on the other side.

The wiring in that area is one place where I think Honda dropped the ball, because it seems that it has to be routed exactly right to miss the heat. A few have had the insulation melt and at least one has wrapped that stretch of wire in metal foil, which should help. [-]This seems like a perfect application for fuel line heat shielding if you could find some that's big enough to pull over the connector at the end of the wire.[/-] Better: use foil heat shielding tape.

If the wire is damaged, it's on a small sub-harness that costs less than $40 to replace.

--Mark
How hard is it to replace tho?

Top Bottom