Shoulder/neck pain and possible herniated disc

Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
So I am looking for a little help here. I?ve been having some issues with shoulder/neck pain on my right (throttle) side. Been riding on 2 wheels for about a year (well this go-round at least). Started with a little 150 scooter and had some shoulder issues with that. Chalked it up to being too small for me and totally non-adjustable and moved on pretty quickly to a little Suzuki GS450. Don?t remember having any pain with that bike. The bars were more cruiser like so my palms were facing in towards the tank when riding. Finally decided I needed more juice and got my current ST1100 about 3 months ago.

When I first test rode the 1100 I could tell that I was going to want bar risers. I have a bad lower back (including surgery) from about 10 years ago and I knew that I wouldn?t want to be leaning forward that much. Got the bike and after a few rides realized that my shoulder issue was back (bars on the 150 scooter had palms facing down similar to the stock 1100 bars but not as wide set). So I quickly installed 2? bar risers from Twisted Throttle hoping that would help both issues. They helped the leaning issue but shoulders kept hurting. After my first 2 day ride on the bike over the Cascades, to Coulee Dam and back, I found that my right shoulder was super tight with some muscle spasming happening (tricep was particularly sore) and I had a bit of numbness in my index and middle fingers. The spasming, soreness and numbness went away within several days, but my general shoulder tightness continued. Shortly after that I found a set of Heli-Bars, installed them and started tweaking. Also did lots of research on riding technique and specifically upper body posture, etc. Since then I have been trying hard to keep my shoulders and elbows loose (I often flap my elbows just to prove to myself that they are loose). I ?lock-on? with the lower half of my body keeping knees tight to the tank and keeping a bit of downward pressue on the pegs. This all helped handling immensely once I got it down, but was still having shoulder pain.

So I found a set of Heli-bars installed them and got to tweaking. I?ve gone through several iterations (some of them totally whacky looking and feeling) but have yet to find a great position. On a recent trip to Mt Rainier I put the bars in what I felt were the best position I had found yet and rode. When I got home, I could barely move my arm. The spasming, soreness (tricep again and more) and numbness returned. I also get occasional instances where if I stand or sit in a certain position, my right arm starts to tingle and go numb. I can usually fix that by leaning my head towards my left shoulder for a few seconds. That was 2 weeks ago. Since then I have gone in to see my doc, who thinks I have a herniated disc (the area of numbness indicated C5/6 disc). He wants to wait on an MRI as he says that many discs will heal themselves in 6 weeks or so. At first he had me taking handfuls of Ibuprofen. That helped but not enough and yesterday he started me on Medrol (steroids). They help more, and most of the soreness and stiffness are gone, but I still have the numbess in the fingers and the issue with my arm starting to go numb occasionally.

So, first thing is to get myself healthy again (wish this could have happened in May instead of the now as I am probably going to miss much of the summer riding season). I have lots of experience with back issues so I feel that I can handle that.

Second issue is? how do I stop this from happening again. Any advice on ergonomic suggestions, physical conditioning, etc would be much appreciated. I really love everything else about this bike and would hate to have to trade it in on something else.

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
I do have a herniated (lumbar) disk and an inversion table has changed my life for the better..much better.

Edit to add lumbar

OP
OP
purkolator
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Hmm, interesting exHDrider. I may have to try messing with the seat a bit. I currently have a Corbin (canyon, I believe) on it now but I also have a stock seat that I could try. Anyone know which is lower off the top of their heads?

The other thing I was considering trying was rotating the Heli-bars towards me a bit so that they are lower, but closer. As they are now, my elbows are about even with the front of my stomach. Maybe trying to get them back closer to my sides would help?

dond - I would be interested to try an inversion table, but don't really want to lay out the cash if it's not going to help. Maybe I can look on CL or find someone to loan me one.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
What exHD said and then some:

Your scooter and GS have a largely upright position where you're sending most of your weight straight down your spinal column. If you're accustomed to that position, you'll probably find yourself putting a lot of weight down your arms on the ST. As you've figured out, that leads to pain. :eek:

When you get back on, work on using the muscles in your back to support your torso. It takes awhile to get them conditioned, but after you get over that hump you'll be able to go quite awhile. (All of this, by the way, is without risers.)

--Mark

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
A lot of what you're describing can also happen if you don't have your spine straight. When I was riding ST's, the best position was the rounded back, stock bars, because of lower back surgery. That position gave my lumbar vertebra a good stretch.

The problem with it though, is you've got to train yourself to not put any weight on your arms, and it sounds like you've been doing that.

Another problem that comes up is with a 'crouch' there is a tendency to want to have your head perpendicular to the ground, and that means tilting your head back and putting an unnatural strain onto your cervical vertebra. Try walking around sometime while continually looking up at the ceiling and you'll see what I mean.

The cure I found for that was to make sure that even though my back was rounded, my head needed to be at the same angle to my back, and that meant that I needed to look up with my eyes, not tilt my head back to see straight down the road.

From what you're saying, it sounds like you're putting a lot of weight on your hands, still. Try riding a lot, for training, with one hand. A throttle lock will help with that.

OP
OP
purkolator
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Don-STOC237, I think you may have hit the nail on the head here with your comment about head position. If I do as you suggest and walk around looking at the ceiling my arm starts doing it's thing. That last ride I was trying really hard to keep my weight off my wrists and shoulders by using my ab and back muscles. I was pretty good about it but was definitely keeping my head up and perpendicular to the ground. The GS450 was definitely a more upright position and if I think about it my had was usually just barely cocked forward when riding that. A couple more weeks of letting this disc chill out and I will try out some new positions. I'll let you know how it goes when I do.

Love this site. In just a few responses I got many more good suggestions that I'd ever get out of my doc.

thanks all!!!

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I treat these kinds of injuries every day. With a herniated/swollen cervical disc, an [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Neckpro-Cervical-Traction-Device/dp/B0002DNL0Q"]over-the-door cervical traction unit can often be helpful. Inversion tables are often effective for lumbar disc troubles, but in 16 years of practice have yet to see one be helpful for a cervical disc...though it's not impossible.

Be careful with the NSAIDS....they can cause GI bleeding.

Top Bottom