Size of gauge wire for front signal lights

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I don't know the OEM wire size. It may be printed on the wire, but in tiny print. Standard incandescents use about 2a for the signals, so 18ga is plenty. You could go as small as, say, 22ga, but it will be fragile.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I bought OEM connectors and removal tool. My OEM wires are cobbled up and want to redo them.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Why not open it up and measure the wiring (?) :thumb:
Measuring smaller wire sizes - especially stranded wire is difficult. I've tried it and you have to cut the insulation w/ a stripper, pull it away from the main piece of wire (exposing a short section of the bare copper, and then measure it with calipers. It's difficult because you can squeeze the stranded wire w/ the calipers getting the wrong reading, stripping the insulation cleanly is not easy, and I've discovered there seems to be some leeway in what the dimensions of the wire are supposed to be and what the calipers tell you.

It's not impossible, just difficult. I would eyeball it and go with the next larger wire size.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'd probably use 16ga. Not because it's needed (because it's not) but I have little use for 18 or smaller and smaller is a little more difficult for me to work with.

If you have or switch to LED bulbs 20ga would probably be plenty. Just for me 16ga is a good utility size.

Top Bottom