Some people's children.... shakes head. "missing lock nut" posting

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
So I'm also on another forum (no name shall be mentioned...)

And this is what the user posted...

" Hello! Need some help. Got a z650 and i noticed a weird sound and vibrate when i slow down and hold in my clutch and still move. I went to check the chain today and noticed it is super tight and missing 1 lock nut for the chain adjuster and the other side was loose.

Is this essential to have? Is my chain somehow tightening itself... Also appreciate my bike is a mess..

1614983334552.png1614983449668.png"

Here's what I wrote them back:

"Hi "name redacted" and welcome to the forum.

That chain certainly needs some loving by the looks of it, and some adjusting from what you've said.

A properly adjusted chain is a must, both to keep it living a long life but to also prevent it from falling off or breaking.
Neither of those end well....

The chain tighteners work in conjunction with the rear axle / axle nut.

You loosen the axle nut, use the adjusters to tight the chain to the correct setting, make sure the wheel is aligned, and then re-tighten & torque the axle nut. If the bike is supposed to have double nuts to lock the adjusters then yes, you should have them.

The vibration and noise may also be a bad wheel bearing. There seems to be an excess of grease where the axle goes thru on the chain side. I'd have said someone was just overly lube happy on the chain but looking at the chain sides, they are rusty.

Looking at the photos I'd seriously have someone check the bike over be it a mechanic or a friend/coworker/relative who is familiar with motorcycles. I think there's something unsafe going on at worst - at best having it checked and adjusted will help prevent any "at worst" situations.

As you've said this bike is new to you, it's been neglected. The chain may be only the tip of the iceberg of things that need maintenance (brakes, tires, fluids etc...)

A chain can also get tight spots if it binds up from lack of lubrication and or O-ring failures. You normally check the chain in a few different spots and go by the tightest / loosest spots for measurements. It it's out of spec and can't be adjusted you replace the chain.

Still, get it checked by someone. It doesn't look good to me. Prove me wrong and I'll be happy about it!! "

Hopefully they take heed!!

A couple of observations

a) the right side doesn't need a lock nut, because there's a lock washer in place.

b) the lock nut on the left side is useless, because of the gunk between it and the adjuster nut is keeping the adjuster in place

Top Bottom