ST 11 Tires - type - ( not what brand )

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Bridgestone T32 ? .Ok Are there any tire types that suit the ST 11, and the occasional trip on packed gravel roads ? If you turn off the main roads here , you meet gravel roads sooner or later. Thinking about it, there are a lot them. They are not necessarily bad roads -packed gravel - . At the same time ,the main roads (asphalt) are all twisties , max 80 km/t (55 mph) , and they are the one's you drive on the most of the time. No high speed autobahn here. Does anyone use an allround type tire on an ST ? Or do regular tires do the job on a good gravel road ? I don't need new tires yet , but this is something I've been thinking about. Maybe I should have gotten that old Africa twin (also).

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have T31s on my '01, never had a single issue with them, wearing mostly evenly, about to be replaced with T32s.

I wouldn't give up any road-worthiness for a slight advantage off-road, especially when off-road only occasionally.

I learned a long time ago to use a relaxed grip and let the bike wiggle on gravel, often using only my right hand.

OP
OP
JJames

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Ok , yea I'm not going off road. I had forgot , but there is a guy a mile away ,that has had his ST 11 since new . He can probably give me some advice or tell me what he has found to work best around here. I have to pay him a visit anyway , he showed me his ST in depth ,when I just started sniff'n on them.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
There are two basic tire distinctions: radial vs bias construction and street vs dual-purpose tread.

While designed for (or 'around') bias-ply tires, the STs (and many other bikes) do well on radials.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
At the same time ,the main roads (asphalt) are all twisties , max 80 km/t (55 mph) , and they are the one's you drive on the most of the time. No high speed autobahn here. Does anyone use an allround type tire on an ST ?
What ?! 55 mph max ? All twisties ?

Maybe in your part of the country.

Have you ever been to Arizona, with 85 mph speed limit, and even at that speed, you have to check your speedometer, cause it is so straight for miles and miles that you have that feeling that you are not moving.

Now, the ST is a Sport Tourer. That means you can lean it in the curves. Really. It's not like a Harley. (oh oh... I said it).

And... I would keep an heavy bike like the ST on the asphalt, although, if I have to, I would not be scared of running on gravel for a bit. But from what I have read, It can be a challenging experience if the road is too soft.

Trvmtchll

Site Supporter
Bike
1995 ST-1100
STOC #
I know it’s not a Bridgestone but I have been on both loose and packed gravel on my Avon storms several times not always by choice but they always done great I prefer a softer tire over mileage

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
ah... if you want to know what are the different known tires, for the ST1100, Joe has created a file, that list them.
See this link.

Personally, I bought a Bridgestone Exedra G548 (rear) as suggested by some members (John O, I think).
In the front, I still have a Dunlop K505F, almost new, from the previous owner.

I think @Uncle Phil is running on Avon, and likes them. Right ?

edit : I just realised (double checking after not seeing the Dunlop K505F as a suitable tire for the ST1100 anywhere), that it is rated OK for the load (58) but under rated for speed ( H (up to 130 mph/210 kmh) instead of V (up to 149 mph/240kmh) ).

Good to know. So, I'll keep it under 210 kmh. :headbang:

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I’ve been on radials since the first set was worn out- no issues at all. I run Pirelli Angel GTs on the 2000 and Metzeler Z8’s on the gray 94 (170/60 size in the back that works well) and just bought another set of the Metzelers for when my Angels wear out (good price too- $115/ $134 for front and rear on Revzilla)

Bike
2000 ST1100
If you have a non abs ST1100 the OEM Bridgestone Bias tires are the way to go. Imho They last a long time and I don't hear of the cupping and squaring off like other models. And no I don't work for Bridgestone:biggrin:

Bike
R1200rt
ah... if you want to know what are the different known tires, for the ST1100, Joe has created a file, that list them.
See this link.

Personally, I bought a Bridgestone Exedra G548 (rear) as suggested by some members (John O, I think).
In the front, I still have a Dunlop K505F, almost new, from the previous owner.

I think @Uncle Phil is running on Avon, and likes them. Right ?

edit : I just realised (double checking after not seeing the Dunlop K505F as a suitable tire for the ST1100 anywhere), that it is rated OK for the load (58) but under rated for speed ( H (up to 130 mph/210 kmh) instead of V (up to 149 mph/240kmh) ).

Good to know. So, I'll keep it under 210 kmh. :headbang:
That list is too old (2008) there are much better tires out there. But if you plan on ridding gravel or packed roads a lot a Pirelli mt60 rs Corsa 60/40 might be better that a stock tire . The ST is not great off road with street tires and might be slightly better with dual sport tire.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
That list is too old (2008) there are much better tires out there.
Al, @Al st1100 as Joe @Mellow mentionned it, at the beginning of.his article : " I'll update this post as people provide info ".

So, I think it has been updated a few times since the original posting, and if someone sees something that could be updated, he should PM Joe.

Bike
R1200rt
Al, @Al st1100 as Joe @Mellow mentionned it, at the beginning of.his article : " I'll update this post as people provide info ".

So, I think it has been updated a few times since the original posting, and if someone sees something that could be updated, he should PM Joe.
I don't see B/S T30, T31 or T32 There are many so many brands that fit ST1100s, There are many posts on tires

OP
OP
JJames

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
I talk to the local gang - they also say stick with road tires , and just take it easy when you have to do gravel . Do Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 3 get any likes here ? Thats whats on there now . I might want to get a new front tire. The previous owner told me he mostly used the front (linked) brake.

I talk to the local gang - they also say stick with road tires
Dude ... you're hanging out with a gang??

Yea, for an 1100 or 1300, a road tire vs dirt tire is preferable ... but then again, I think the original question was "bias vs radial" :)

OP
OP
JJames

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Not in a gang . The translation to "gang" might not be the right word. Should have been - Local the MC drivers I know. I hadn't thought about Bias vs Radial when I started this thread. I was more thinking about- mild adventure (if there is such a thing) vs road tire . But we need all the grip we can get on the asphalt they say.

2CC9748B-BFA9-497E-9F12-F3911383329B_1_105_c.jpeg

Top Bottom