ST 1100 alternator again preventitive medcine

I have a used alternator enroute fron the USA and while they do not have a problem with the outer shell cracking in the USA

I would like to hear suggestions of coatings or sealants to try and prevent my replacement going the same way.

I fully expect to split the alternator and replace bearings but the reason I have been told for the cracking... is the stator

winding is onto steel and this is the fitted into a cast allumminium shell..........the steel stator is an interference fit

and removal is near impossible, In the UK we have a product called WD 40 which is a water dispersant and releasing fluid

but I know it dries out quickly

Any other product recomendations to help stop the rust buildup

TIA Gary

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I use WD40 a lot but, I have heard of another product that seems to be more popular "over there"
ACF50 seems to have some amazing qualities according to the information I have seen.

OP
OP
Thanks for the replies I have heard of ACF 50 but never used it

I tend to ride all year except snow but have always lived by the use it and clean it before it is put away theory

I will look it up but is it OK to just spray into the inside of alternator?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I will look it up but is it OK to just spray into the inside of alternator?
Amounts applied onto the outside (like while the rear wheel is removed) will seep into the gaps between parts. Important are the steel plates of the stator, as those are prone to rust which cracks the aluminium casings. I use ACF-50 on the fuse box contacts, the contact array (and power supply PCB inside) of my GPS cradle, on the contacts and the PCB of the detachable front of my Sony car stereo and the sockets/plugs of the Autocom, working perfectly there, no issues like causing shorts or such but excellent waterproofing and corrosion protection.
Can't tell how the carbon brushes or ball bearings will react on being soaked with larger amounts of ACF-50.

Bike
ST1100
When I replaced the alternator on my ST1100 I extended the rear fender where it meets the swingarm.Any water or grim coming off the rear wheel should fall back on to the road.I used a piece of an old rubber boot cut to shape.Watch where you position the bolts as there is very little space between the fuel tank and the fender.

OP
OP
Hopefully I will have uploaded a picture of my cracked alternator

I am thinking of breaking out the peice of casting between the two cracks

one of the cracks runs thrugh the clamping bolt for the alternator itself.

I think once the alternator is clamped in place by the 3 main bolts it should not go anywhere.

I am fancying taking a chance at this plan as I am off to Holland/Stutgart on the 10th April and

the st1100 is so much better on fuel than plan B using a petrol guzzling 900cc triumph trophy

any thoughts

Last edited:

sofawizard

andy
Bike
st1100 a
if i had a dodgy alternator out id replace before i ode a distance as it would play on my mind sumat rotten but hey it may make the run without issue if the casings the only problem

Top Bottom