st 1100 brakes abs

my 1100 abs light is flashing ,i have checked the code and is says the rear modulator sensor is at fault,however after consulting my honda dealer, he says that hte sensor may just need cleaning because the bike has been standing for 3 years. my question is can anyone tell me how to get at it as i have not got a clue where it is located on the bike,cheers

Also try clearing the codes first. I've had them set, evidently erroneously, on a couple of occasions and clearing the code solved the problem and I didn't have to do anything else! Be aware that when the ABS light is blinking your ABS system is disabled and you only have conventional brakes.

As Phil says check your battery connections and that the battery is fully charged as this can cause spurious ABS warnings.

I had this on my first 1100, I ignored it as I was half way en-route to Derbyshire.... next fuel stop it went off and stayed normal thereafter.....

hi
I got same problem but some one said it could also be the rear speed sensor. has anyone got a diagram on how to take this off as it may be damaged .

Mally - Looks like a couple of bolts come out and an electrical disconnect when I look at the parts diagram. The sensor part number is

38510-MAJ-781 SENSOR WHEEL SP

and it is probably not cheap.

Attachments

• Rear ABS Sensor Picture.JPG
    Rear ABS Sensor Picture.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 7
Clearing the codes is easy with the ST1100:
Press and hold down the ABS warning button on the left faring pocket panel while turning on the key. Continue to hold the button down until the ABS warning light on the dash goes out, then immediately release the button. The ABS computer will now begin blinking out the error code. Write that down and while the computer is still in the reporting mode, briefly press the ABS warning button to clear any stored codes.

Don't worry, if there's really a problem it will come back on again, the next time you ride the bike.

I have this issue too on my 94. Never knew about how to clear a code or reset by holding the button. I'll try it and also write down the code. When I do get the code # how do I find out what it means? And- is there a simple way to clean the sensor area without disaembly?

Hello Bill,

ABS I codes and troubleshooting guide/step-by are in chapter 16 of the early ABS model's Honda Service Manuals. You can post your code here and ask folks to try to help/walk you though it, but if you're going to be doing your own maintenance and repair I highly recommend you get the Honda manual. The mods here are sensitive to copyrighted material (like whole manual pages) being posted on the forum so that's another good reason to get the shop manual.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Thanks John! I didn't get a manual with the bike but think I will find one. The bike was sold to me at a fantastic price with the knowledge that the ABS wasn't working for unknown reasons but still has normal brakes. 37k Miles and mint condition. I'll try to fix it if it's not a new computer or expensive piece. I'll try the reset and look for a code on Tuesday when I get it back from some pm work being done.- I normally do my own stuff but currently live in a place with no garage or tools.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom