Article [13] ST 1300 - Replacing Exhaust Gaskets

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
While servicing my ST this winter, I noticed that there was evidence of blow-by (leakage) where the two mufflers connect to the exhaust system. I took the mufflers off and had a look at the gaskets - they were in pretty rough shape, and both of the mufflers had quite a bit of gasket material melted onto the forward end of the muffler, where the muffler assembly slips into the exhaust system. I ordered two replacement gaskets (about $20 each).

Blow-By (leakage) at old gasket
1 Blow-by, Corrosion.jpg

The gaskets arrived, and they are an interesting looking part. They are a 'greasy-feeling' part, but they are not coated with any lubricant. They consist of a fine wire mesh structure that is surrounded on all sides by some form of slippery metal or plastic coating - perhaps graphite. From the appearance of the seam on the new gaskets, it looks like they are manufactured as a flat strip, and then rolled into a donut-like shape.

New Gasket
6 New Gasket.jpg

I removed the mufflers by loosening the two bolts on the clamp around each gasket. About a year ago, I found these bolts were very rusted and seized up - understandable, I guess, considering they are constantly exposed to road spray generated by the rear wheel. I managed to get the two bolts completely out of each clamp, and after cleaning the bolts, I coated them liberally with Honda anti-seize compound. After re-installing them, I thoroughly coated the exposed threads above the nuts with more anti-seize. One year later, it was very easy to remove the bolts from these clamps.

Muffler Clamps
2 Clamps before cleaning.jpg

Once I had the muffler and the clamp off, I was able to easily remove the remains of the old gasket by just sliding a slotted screwdriver into one of the slits in the side of the exhaust system. The old gasket deformed when I removed it, and the wire mesh internal structure was evident. Fascinating construction.

Old Gasket
4 Inside of Gasket.jpg

As you can see from the photo above, there was very little of the old gasket stuck to the inside of the exhaust pipe. I was able to remove what little there was inside the exhaust pipe with some coarse sandpaper.

The muffler itself was another story. There was a great amount of the old gasket stuck to the outside of the forward end of the muffler, and it had fused with the muffler. It took a lot of work with a wire brush and sandpaper to clean the remains of the old gasket off the outside of the forward end of the muffler. My guess is that when the mufflers get removed for a rear tire or brake pad change, we rotate them to wiggle them out of the gasket (or just rotate them to get them out of the way, without removing them), and over time, this chews up the inside of the gasket. Honda actually recommends that the gaskets be changed every time the muffler is removed. I have never done this, and I don't know anyone who does. But, after about 55,000 miles and probably half-a-dozen muffler removals, the gaskets on my bike were in poor condition.

Gasket Residue on Mufflers
5 Crud on muffler.jpg

Where that residue came from
(inside of old gasket, before removal)
3 Old Muffler Gasket.jpg

It was easy to install the new gasket. I had to pry the 'petals' of the exhaust pipe out about 1 mm each to make room for the new gasket to fit, but once I did that, it slid right in. It is not necessary to push the gasket all the way in to the fully-seated position, because when you re-install the exhaust pipe, the big ring on the forward end of the exhaust pipe (visible in the photo above) will ram the gasket home. The gasket is quite fragile, and I think if I had tried to push it in all the way with my fingers or a tool, I probably would have broken it.

New Gasket in Place
(not quite fully seated)
7 New Gasket in place.jpg

Ramming the new gasket in with the muffler
8 Ramming new Gasket in.jpg

Honda recommends that the two bolts on the clamp be torqued to 22 N·m (16 ft-lbs). Because I re-lubricated the threads on the bolts with anti-seize, I was reluctant to tighten them to this torque - I assume the torque value given is for dry threads. I don't think it is necessary to tighten the clamps up any more than what is necessary to give the gaskets a "gentle squeeze", with emphasis on the word "gentle". The clamps are not holding anything in place - the mufflers are securely held in place by two bolts that attach to the frame, further aft on the muffler.

I kind of suspect that at some time in the past, someone had really reefed those two clamps tight, and by doing that, crushed the internal structure of the gasket. Once the thick mesh gasket has been crushed, it's not going to seal the junction at all, and there is no way to 'un-deform' it.

I didn't buy new muffler clamps, but if I ever have to do the job again, I think I will replace the two muffler clamps at the same time I replace the gaskets. Physically, my clamps were in pretty good condition - the rust on them was superficial and easily polished off - but they were less than perfectly circular, as you can see in the photos above and below. The clamps are fairly thick steel, and I think that new clamps would have done a better job of evenly compressing all the petals of the exhaust pipe around the new gasket.

The photo below shows everything put back together again. It's possible that I didn't fully ram in the gasket, and that the little tang at the 3 o'clock position on the clamp is supposed to fit around the aft side of the metal ring on the forward end of the muffler. But, the two bolts that hold the muffler in place (much further aft along the muffler) lined up perfectly with the muffler in the position below, and I was reluctant to try to bang the gasket further into the exhaust pipe.

Michael

Job Done
9 Job done.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I replaced my gaskets and the clamps for the first time around 110,000 km. I had snapped one bolt off each by then. I am about to order new gaskets and clamps as I am in the snapped off bolt position again lol. When I take the old clamps off this time, I think I will try to get the broken bolts out and refurbish the clamps as future spares. I wish I had put some sort of lubricant on last time. On my todo check list now.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I would guess the exhaust pipe runs hotter than the muffler and either the gasket material or its mesh internal structure fused to the exhaust pipe over time. This might be exacerbated by leakage of the hot gasses. If the leakage was only around the exhaust pipe, then the deposits might simply be carbon and fused hydrocarbons. (I wonder what the inside of a refinery's 'fracking tower looks like after a few years?)

STOC #
Thanks for a great write up and nice picture taking! It prompts me to take a look at STella's muffler connections this morning.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nice write-up and pictures!

I usually remove my mufflers when I do a tire change. When I reinstall them, I put a little grease on the muffler ends before pushing them back on. Although I have done this dozens of times, I have yet to see a gasket that bad. Interesting!

OP
OP
CYYJ

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
The most reliable way i found was to fit the gasket to the silencer and slide both into the flared opening of the exhaust. I used copper grease to make sure that it slid easily, but it is important that the inside bore is smooth.
Hi John:

I thought about doing it that way, but determined that it was less risky to just flare out the petals on the exhaust pipe (bend them outwards about 1mm with a pair of pliers), and then poke the new gasket in with my fingers - no force needed at all. What makes it work well is that the round ring on the forward end of the muffler, about 15 cm from the forward end, then engages the gasket and pushes it in all the way, exerting an even force all around the gasket during the process.

...did you feel any vibration through the bars or the footpegs before you discovered the leaking seal ?
No, no vibration whatsoever. It was the dirt (blow-by) on the muffler, aft of the gasket, that prompted me to investigate and replace the gasket. Personally, I don't think replacing the gasket will have any effect on performance or functionality... it will just stop the forward end of the muffler and the catalytic converter from getting dirty due to exhaust blow-by.

Michael

OP
OP
CYYJ

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I loved the... shiny underside of your bike. I'm really fed up now - about the grotty, rusty, underside of my bike...
Hi John:

Not a whole lot you can do about it, given that you are located in the UK. I think that the UK must use a lot more bulk salt on the roads than other jurisdictions, Quebec in Canada being the only possible exception. I have seen comments on other automotive forums that corrosion takes place in the UK at a rate about twice as fast as on the continent or in North America.

The underside of my moto does not get any special care or attention - perhaps once a year, I'll stuff a wash-wand from a coin-op car wash underneath there to blow the dirt off, but that's it. What you see in the photos above is 60,000 miles of use. The muffler clamps are original.

Michael

Top Bottom