ST 1300 SMC ........HELP !

Bike
ST 1300
I know this topic has been covered a lot on this forum. Now it has happened to me and I cant figure it all out. Locked up rear caliper last week riding to work. Pushed back the rear pads after letting it cool . Limped it home carefully without too much trouble. Once home, wheel was dragging but not locked up. I pulled the rear caliper and cleaned up the pucks with fiber rags cut into strips and the shoe shine technique. caliper moves freely with no binding. Bled the brake system per the manual . If I push the rear brake pedal it will take a sec or two to release the rear wheel, as if the bleed off process is slow. Pulled the SMC and cleaned the bore .It was pitted and dirty. Reassembled, and again bled the brakes . Still a slow release on the rear caliper .Is it still possible to be sticky seals on the SMC or do I need to rebuild the rear caliper ?. I also had a front end rattle on the ride home after the lock up and that's why I cleaned the SMC . I want to order a new SMC but still skeptical that it may be something else. Bought the 05 ST last year with only 3500 mi. I put on 8k with no issues at all and don't really subject it to salt or rain . Any advise would be helpful.. Thanks guys...

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sounds like it could be a bad SMC but I would try a flush of the brake fluid first following the procedures posted here first.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If it were me, I'd order a new SMC. Unless you rebuild it, cleaning will not help much if at all.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I agree with Mellow on this one, if you found it PITTED and Dirty, no amount of cleaning will repair it.
Replace the entire unit, bracket and all, then do a complete bleed following the service manuals procedure, making sure to bleed the PCV while the SMC bracket is tilted as described. Once you get the part, PM me if you need further assistance in your bleeding procedure, I can help you.
Igofar

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1300
Thanks for the quick response guys. New bracket sub assy on order. Let you know what happens. Haven't been on the Mighty ST in a week

Top Bottom