ST one month in, VTX one week in...

Computer Nerd

full frontal nerdity
Soooo... I have had my ST for a little over a month.

I have not had a bike quite like this before. It's got some great highs, and some low lows. The seat. The seat is a low low. The VTX I just got has a much more comfortable factory seat. In fact, I'm wondering if I really need an aftermarket seat for the VTX. And the Gold Wing comes fitted with a great factory seat, why can't a premium bike like the ST have a nice seat??

I have been wanting a shaft driven sport standard for forever and ever, and I'm glad I am free from chain maintenence. Cold morning start ups are so easy now, and the bike seems to ride it's self.

I am happy with the cornering too. The trip up to the mountains was fantastic! The ST was better in the twisties than the FZ1 was. But yes, the shaft drive is nice.

Most all my bikes have been chain drive, except for a brief fling I had with a road star back in '03.

The windshield, and bags are so nice! The seat is fine after getting the sargent, and I am hoping that the wrist/shoulder situation will sort out. Again, it's only been a month, and I feel 100% better than when I fist got the bike.

Now, the VTX 1300. I was trying to buy a used Wing, but the guy up north sold it before I could get up there, and get it.

So, feeling that I wanted something a bit "smaller" for lane splitting, I got the VTX.

I am still a fan of cruisers, and I have to say, the VTX is far superior to that Road Star I had.

Even in the weakened state of break in, this thing is FAST!

It's so easy to squirt around on it. It feels light, and athletic. Really a great bike to get around on. I would recommend it to any of you all who like cruisers too, and want a second bike. Fuel economy is STill up in the air, but I suspect it will settle into high 30's average.

I'm glad I got the VTX, and I am happy with the utility of the ST.

Thanks for reading!

As far as the ST's riding position, it usually takes 20 or so hours of seat time in the begining of riding season before I'm good for all day. The more I ride... the better it feels. The cruiser I ride occasionaly is my brothers Rocket III. Talk about night and day... I can't seem to get comfortable on it at all... but it will pull your hands off the bars if your not paying attention.

Indy

The VTX has a very neutral position. At least for me.

I need this farkle for it though... :)

Attachments

• 0VTX1.jpg
    0VTX1.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 34
I had a VTX 1300 for 3 years and 70,000 miles with the stock seat and found it to be a very comfortable bike. I found however that I can burn more miles in a day on the ST. Spencer does a great seat mod for the VTX as well.
I found that if I rode the VTX for over 45 min. with the stock rear shocks, all the dampening went away and the handling really suffered. I replaced the shocks and front springs with Progressive units after the first week of owner ship. I think all the Japanese bikes I have ever owned, and I have been riding for 40 years, all had weak shocks and springs along with weak ignition coils, ( the ST being the exception of coarse ).
The California VTX community are a very good group to ride with.

Oh yes, the "other" Honda 1300
Here's mine:D
solo%20resized.bmp.jpg

Old Way, your still my hero, a true Iron Butt :bow1:

Spencer

Awesome! :)

And Hm, I really have not noticed any complaints will the suspension, I will monitor it.

And Old Way, 70K miles? How is it holding up? :)

It is cool having the two different 1300's.

bike2.jpg

I sold it last July, would have kept it, but too many bikes already, one had to go. Only problem was a rear wheel bearing felt loose at 60k, so I replaced it.
Always check or have your bearings checked whenever you have the wheel off.
That goes for every bike.

Back
Top Bottom