ST1100 Cure Time with Honda HT Sealant on Valve Cover Gaskets?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The 'tube' from Mother Honda says 1 hour for surface, 15-16 hours for full cure depending on thickness, room temp .......
The Honda Manual says around the 'half moons' and it appears to be around the spark plug gaskets (and some spots to hold the gasket in place).
Real world question from those who have done it (especially @John OoSTerhuis ) -

How long before I can start and run the engine to see if my 'work' solved the oil leak without messing up what I have done?

Thanks as always.

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
Hey Phil…

I always clean out the factory “glue” they use to hold the seals/gaskets in place. I then use spray tack all around the cover to hold the new seals/gaskets in place. Any high temp silicone will do for the half moon’s. Never applied for the spark plug seals. I always wait overnight to let the silicone to fully cure before starting the engine.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Phil I used the Permatex ultra black RTV sealant on my Corolla and let it sit for 24 Hours and all was good. Don't know about the Honda bond but I would say 24 hours and you are good to go.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
since you mentioned oil leak, did you buy new washers that sit under the valve cover bolts?

Those compress over time and are a possible cause of valve cover gasket leaks. Since the bolts bottom out on the lower shoulder of the bolt, and can't be further tightened past that point, the clamping force on the valve cover decreases as those washers compress over time.

I agree with the others that I'd wait overnight for the sealant to cure.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
since you mentioned oil leak, did you buy new washers that sit under the valve cover bolts?

Those compress over time and are a possible cause of valve cover gasket leaks. Since the bolts bottom out on the lower shoulder of the bolt, and can't be further tightened past that point, the clamping force on the valve cover decreases as those washers compress over time.

I agree with the others that I'd wait overnight for the sealant to cure.
Yes, new washers, new gaskets - the whole deal.
Sounds like 'overnight' is the answer but it was only applied to the 'half moons' on the end per the Honda manual and the spark plug gaskets (per looking when I took it off ;)).

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Re: the half-moons - all five times it was overnight before I got back to it.

Edit: Pro Honda Hondabond HT high-temp silicone liquid gasket. Light grey color.

John

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
How long before I can start and run the engine to see if my 'work' solved the oil leak without messing up what I have done?
I use some Loctite RTV (cartridge with propellant) and by the time I've the Tupperware buttoned up the stuff has settled...
But I also need to mention that I always install new cover gaskets and grommets, which likely brings the clearances at minimum...

Top Bottom