ST1100 Hyperpro Fork Springs

do you put the tightly wound section of the hyperpros to the top or bottom?
You intend to keep the 'unsprung weight' of your fork assy low... now imagine your fork springs compressed and guess where the heavy part is ;-)

You intend to keep the 'unsprung weight' of your fork assy low... now imagine your fork springs compressed and guess where the heavy part is ;-)

So unless you worry about a few ounces of weight, you are saying it doesn't matter?
As heavy as these things are I can't imagine you would ever know there is a difference based on how it responds to the weight. Now if the function of the spring were different one way or the other I could see worrying about it. YOMV

So unless you worry about a few ounces of weight, you are saying it doesn't matter?
As heavy as these things are I can't imagine you would ever know there is a difference based on how it responds to the weight. Now if the function of the spring were different one way or the other I could see worrying about it. YOMV

The only practical difference is how the spring displaces the fork oil in the bottom of the tube. IIRC the stock springs are setup from the factory with the tight coils at the bottom, so that's the way I've always installed them. Not sure how the aftermarket springs compare in oil displacement to the stock springs, but its probably a good idea once you install them to fill the fork oil by measurement, not by volume, because its not likely they displace exactly the same amount as the stock springs.

You intend to keep the 'unsprung weight' of your fork assy low... now imagine your fork springs compressed and guess where the heavy part is
Hi, so does that mean you put the tightly wound section to the bottom? the oems were in with tight end at the bottom,read somehere here its meant to reduce spring rattle.
hyperpro say tightly wound at the top,I don't see how it makes much difference either way

The only practical difference is how the spring displaces the fork oil in the bottom of the tube.
IMHO the (technically) most logical argument in this issue... besides that the majority of IM for aftermarket fork springs (Wilbers, Hyperpro, Wirth...) do inform to place the narrow wound section on top. Yes, you'll increase the unsuspended mass (slightly); yes, you'll gain less displacement on fork oil level... do those marginal values matter on our heavy rigs? Dunno... various forums are filled with pros and cons on this subject. I for one stick with the MFG's suggestion/IM...

So are you saying you stick with the way the oems are installed...
err... what exactly does the IM that came with (or is avail for download) them Hyperpro fork springs tell ya? ;-)
http://www.hyperpro.com/hyperpro/sites/default/files/Manual%20ENG%20part%201.pdf
View the frontpage for the mounting direction, usually the progressive side is mounted up. Sometimes there is a sticker marking which side up. Fit the spring without the sticker.
(<LOL> ...even for me as not native speaker that Dutch-English is a bit on the vigorous side... :-D )

I got my forks rebuilt yesterday and new tapered bearings fitted,it took my mate and I around 4 hours start to finish,we had no special tools,the head bearings seemed ok and were well well greased.
removing them was easy enough.the anti dive was an easy fix as well,I had all the parts ready.there was a lot of play in the nylon bushion of the anti dive piston,everything else seemed fairly ok but I replaced all with new parts.
Fork slider bushions were worn but not too bad.replaced with oem bushions.
The hyperpro springs have made a huge difference,installed as per hyperpros instructions,150 mm air gap. the bike sits up higher now and is much more leaned over on the side stand.
Sag is at 34mm and that is bang on,lucky enough there as didn't fancy having to try and adjust it,hyperpro obviously know their stuff.I used motul fully synthetic 10wt oil.the old oil wasn't as bad as the oil I replaced in my vfr,and the forks were clean enough internaly,so I suspect the fork oil has been changed before.she has 41k miles done.
Going for a good run later today and I will see how she feels then.can't wait.
The fore and aft movement I had in the forks is gone,I don't know if the new head bearings or fork bushes cured it but its gone anyway.
The oem springs seemed very weak,I measured them and they are within tolerance but the hyperpros seemed much stiffer by comparison just pressing them by hand.
I may need to adjust the preload on the shock as she seems very high in the front,but maybe that's because I'm used to the way she was,bogged down on the weak oem springs.
I will see also today if that rattle I was hearing,mostly likely coming from the anti dive is gone,I greased all the pivot bushions on the calipers etc.
I'll report back after the run,thanks to everyone for your advice/opinions etc.

Top Bottom