ST1100 LBS SMC Parts Availability - Tip

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Well since I have not been riding my ST1100 much over the last few ears since buying my Africa Twin I decided to go over it and rebuild the brakes system. I rebuilt all the calipers, bought a brand new rear master cylinder and rebuilt the front master cylinder and SMC. Since new SMCs are not available in the US (you can get them from Europe for about $300USD) I got a kit. I removed the SMC and flushed it out and installed the kit.

The kits do not come with the small plastic screen and one-way valve that is fitted to the side of the SMC. I carefully removed this valve to clean it out. These valves are really delicate to take apart and clean and much to my chagrin, a small black hole opened up in my garage and the tiny ball and spring were sucked into another dimension and lost forever. Hmm - what to do? I looked on Ebay and found a couple of used SMCs that were pretty rough looking. While looking on Ebay I noticed a few GL1800 (2001-2016) SMC's. These looked very similar to the ST1100 SMC. Obviously these would not interchange but I got to thinking that the small screen and valve may be the same as the ST1100. The GL1800 had a similar port on the side of the SMC with the two 6mm screws holding the cover fitting on. The GL1800 SMC's are very cheap as well. I ordered one to test the theory that the parts from the GL1800 SMC may interchange with the ST1100 SMC. I received the GL1800 SMC yesterday and took the cover fitting off and discovered that the small plastic screen and valve are identical to the ST1100 SMC. I bought a new GL1800 OEM SMC on Ebay for $22.00.

So for anyone with a ST1100 with linked brakes and an SMC you can get a replacement valve by ordering a GL1800 SMC. Here's a picture:IMG_1648.jpeg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Dan, if your garage swallows up the new one let me know, as I have several of these cartridges in a jar on my workbench, and I'd be glad to mail you one.
:WCP1:

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Somewhere, in another dimension, there’s an alien looking at a little ball bearing, spring and that clip I dropped right at my feet, never to be seen again, and it’s wondering where the heck they came from.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Somewhere, in another dimension, there’s an alien looking at a little ball bearing, spring and that clip I dropped right at my feet, never to be seen again, and it’s wondering where the heck they came from.
in 10,000 years those parts might find their way back to earth. Some archeologist will have a great time realizing they are just the parts he needs for HIS SMC.

Top Bottom