ST1100 low beams out / headlight relay access

Bike
1999 ST1100
My 99 ST1100 has both low beams out (spontaneous simultaneous failure). High beams are functional.

Looking at wiring diagrams and reading threads has made the low beam headlight relay the prime suspect. I removed bodywork to access it (top cover, side panels) and can get my hand up in there but cannot get enough access to remove the relay. I also removed the triangle panel under the headlight to try from the bottom with no better success.

Is it necessary to remove the entire front end to get at the relays or am I missing a step?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Screen = windshield, held on by 4 screws. The garnish is the black plastic piece between the screen and headlight and is hooked in place. Thought it would be rather obvious.....

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry to sound ignorant but what are the "garnish" and "screen"? I realize they are references to bodywork.
Windshield and the black piece that is on the front between the screen and the headlight - windshield has to be removed first.
Watch the tabs on the garnish (slide it sort of up) or you will break them off.

OP
OP
Bike
1999 ST1100
Windshield and the black piece that is on the front between the screen and the headlight - windshield has to be removed first.
Thanks all, I thought the reference to "screen" was something separate from the windscreen.

My apology if my initial question seemed ignorant.

Last edited:

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks all, I thought the reference to "screen" was something separate from the windscreen.

My apology if my initial question seemed ignorant.
Ask away, that's how you will learn, someone will eventually chime in with the answer. I never knew what the garnish was either many years ago. Thought is was something you put on food. :biggrin:

Bike
01 Honda ST1100
My 99 ST1100 has both low beams out (spontaneous simultaneous failure). High beams are functional.

Looking at wiring diagrams and reading threads has made the low beam headlight relay the prime suspect. I removed bodywork to access it (top cover, side panels) and can get my hand up in there but cannot get enough access to remove the relay. I also removed the triangle panel under the headlight to try from the bottom with no better success.

Is it necessary to remove the entire front end to get at the relays or am I missing a step?

Thanks in advance.
Can you post any followup progress? Both of my low beams have failed as well. I was assuming it was just the bulbs that need replaced.

OP
OP
Bike
1999 ST1100
Can you post any followup progress? Both of my low beams have failed as well. I was assuming it was just the bulbs that need replaced.
Will do. I have a replacement relay and new bulbs, but don't want to just throw parts at it. My next step will be to check for power at the bulb connection. Stay tuned!

OP
OP
Bike
1999 ST1100
Thanks Phil, I have had the windshield and most of the bodywork off previously but not the garnish piece. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP
Bike
1999 ST1100
I finally had an opportunity to dig into this with the suggestions and recommendations here. I checked the bulbs and determined that I did have power at the bulbs, which eliminated the relay as the culprit.

Bulb replacement solved the problem and access was easiest by removing the windscreen and the "garnish". My bulbs may have been originals as the connectors were very difficult to remove from the bulbs. It turned out to be easiest to work the bulb out past the wire clip and working the connector off after the bulb was in my hand.

Reassembled with dielectric grease on the bulb connections and the rubber seal / guards.

Thanks to all here for input, information and advice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
1999 ST1100
See my thread update regarding my headlight issue. I checked for power at the bulbs and had voltage. One of the bulbs may have been out previously.

Top Bottom