ST1100 vs Gen 2 FJR1300 vs 1st Gen DL650 V-Strom

Just bought a 'new to me' 2006 FJR1300 ABS, traded my 2004 DL650 V-strom in on it. So now I have a 2001 ST1100 (non ABS), and the FJR1300.

I wound up riding all 3 bikes back to back about 30-40 miles and had some pretty specific observations I thought may be useful to others at some point.

ST1100 has superior wind protection (Rifle fairing helps, but I'm pretty sure the stock screen would also be better).
I found the FJR does not catch crosswind as much much as the ST1100.
The DL650 can get abruptly blown around , being blown around happens more slowly on the other 2 bikes (prob due to weight difference).
The DL650 suspension transmits bumps a lot harder than the other 2 bikes.
The ST1100 gives the smoothest ride (not as bumpy).
The FJR is in-between, with some bumps that were not noticeable on the ST being noticeable on the FJR.

The ST has the smoothest power delivery, and the least amount of buzz.
Engine buzz on the FJR is noticeably greater than on the ST, seems more pronounced in certain gear/rpm ranges.
Letting off the throttle a bit on the FJR (compression braking) is abrupt and significant, can make the bike lurch a bit if not careful. It's smooth on the ST, hard to mess it up.
While power delivery on the FJR is not as smooth as the ST, it is smoother than the DL650.

The ST is the most stable when going high speed in a straight line.
The FJR is also very stable, but relatively small input leads to make bigger changes in direction vs the ST.
The DL650 is not too stable over 75mph, makes me feel like I'm pushing it. It's quite at home under 65 though.

The DL650 is by far the easiest to shift, lightest clutch pull and least amount of force to up or down shift, not clunky.
The FJR clutch pull is lighter than the ST1100.
The FJR has a linear clutch engagement while the ST tends to engage at the end of clutch travel (both my STs did this).
Both the FJR and the ST, shifts are a bit clunky, but overall the FJR is a bit less so.

The ST instruments are easy to see even in direct sunlight, but something about their position makes it necessary to look down too far for my liking.
The FJR instruments are well positioned, but tach and speedo wash out in direct sunlight.
The DL650 instruments are the easiest to see overall.
The FJR by far has the most information on its screen (gear position, temp, etc).
The FJR turn signals are difficult to see in heavy sunlight.
The ST turn signals are very easy to see.

The DL650 is easiest to transition on.
The FJR is in-between, easier than the ST1100 but not so easy as the DL.
The ST kinda takes its time here, but once on its line it seems the most stable (may be unfair to the FJR as i'm not as familiar with it yet)

The DL650 compares favorably in off the line acceleration, it's quick at lower speeds.
The ST is relatively slow off the line, but after 2nd gear it has a big advantage over the DL. It powers up to ~95mph before it starts to tap out.
The FJR is terrifyingly fast at all (normal) speeds, and pulls hard in almost any gear and speed. Haven't pushed this off the line hard for fear it will leave me.

Edit more notes :
The fjr throttle is harder to keep in place than the ST or DL, causes more wrist / upper arm strain. Could be just my fjr needs adjustment, but this was very noticeable on the interstate.
The FJR brakes are fantastic. More worried about the brakes of the guy behind me than mine with the FJR.
The ST and the DL brakes (both non ABS) I would rate in the same ball park, barely adequate with added noticeable fade on the ST when repeatedly pushed.
The luggage on the FJR is easier to remove, and seems much larger / easier to access than the ST.

The ST puts out some heat around the thighs while on the interstate. Not horrible, but it's there.
No heat noticeable on the FJR so far.
Not much heat to the rider on the DL either, it's half fairing so depends on the wind but it's never been an issue.

Last edited:
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
The DL650 is by far the easiest to shift, lightest clutch pull and least amount of force to up or down shift, not clunky.
The FJR clutch pull is lighter than the ST1100.
The FJR has a linear clutch engagement while the ST tends to engage at the end of clutch travel (both my STs did this).
Both the FJR and the ST, shifts are a bit clunky, but overall the FJR is a bit less so.
Thanks for the comparison. The FJR has called my name for years, but every time I see a comparison to the ST11 it lacks a bit where it counts for me - engine smoothness, tall rider ergonomics, wind protection, fuel range, and overall long-distance comfort. BTW, I too was also not satisfied with the ST's heavy clutch pull and addressed it by swapping the clutch master cylinder for a 1/2" bore master from a 2007 VFR800 non-ABS...

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/clutch-master-cylinder-swap.167869/page-2

OP
OP
shady28
Which would be your choice for a day in the twisties?
If I had all 3 bikes at this moment, and the twisties were relatively low speed and nearby (not high speed sweeper types), the DL650. It is just easier to transition and manage below 60mph.

That is unfair to the FJR though, I'm simply not attuned to it yet and probably won't be for another month or so.

OP
OP
shady28
Thanks for the comparison. The FJR has called my name for years, but every time I see a comparison to the ST11 it lacks a bit where it counts for me - engine smoothness, tall rider ergonomics, wind protection, fuel range, and overall long-distance comfort. BTW, I too was also not satisfied with the ST's heavy clutch pull and addressed it by swapping the clutch master cylinder for a 1/2" bore master from a 2007 VFR800 non-ABS...

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/clutch-master-cylinder-swap.167869/page-2
Yep that is the general consensus I had read before I bought the FJR. I wanted to put down some more specific bullets though, as over time my 'muscle memory' on the bikes will probably make me unaware of some of those differences.

I was expecting the FJR clutch feel and shifting to be a lot better than what it is TBH. It's definitly better than the ST, but not quite the neat snick snick light pull I was hoping for. Supposedly the new FJRs with the 6 speed are much better.

Two other notes :
The fjr throttle is harder to keep in place than the ST or DL, causes more wrist / upper arm strain. Could be just my fjr needs adjsutment, but it was one of the first things I noticed when I hit the highway.
The FJR brakes are fantastic. The ST and the DL (both non ABS) I would rate in the same ball park, barely adequate with added noticeable fade on the ST when repeatedly pushed. More worried about the brakes of the guy behind me than mine with the FJR.

Top Bottom