St1300 battery

Bike
2005 st1300/Victory
STOC #
Looking for a new battery. Usually buy the OEM, but saw a gel battery for 50$.
What's your opinion of the gel battery?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
A gel battery is a downgrade from the OEM AGM type battery, but as long as the CCA rating and AH ratings are comparable it should work OK. In my experience the ST13 is a pretty easy starting bike. I would not expect it to last as long as the AGM, so cost wise overall you may have a wash unless you're in a pinch for cash or some other reason at the moment.

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Looking for a new battery. Usually buy the OEM, but saw a gel battery for 50$.
What's your opinion of the gel battery?
Howdy.....FWIW...I installed a new Gel cheapo battery ( under $40 ) July 2017. I installed new AGM battery 230 cca ( under $45 ) Sept 2019. I just have a difficult time paying $150 for a bike battery ( if I absolutely have to, I will ). My experience is using a trickle charger at night seems to prolong the life of these cheapo batteries. Then I always ride like its my last day on earth! :rofl1::rofl1::rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
A gel battery is a downgrade from the OEM AGM type battery
Not being familiar with the cons of gel batteries, or gel batteries in general, could you explain why.

OP
OP
vtxcajun
Bike
2005 st1300/Victory
STOC #
I put my bikes in the battery tender after each ride.
The ST is new to me and the battery was questionable when I bought the bike.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I just watched that video a few days ago.
My Yuasa is about 5 years old and I have it on a battery tender off and on in my cold garage. It's making me wonder if it's ok. I check the voltage every few days, as it sits on a bench and it loses .5 volts per day after 2 days being off the tender. I've seen this twice so far. It will go to full charge too. I'll leave it for a week and then see what it reads. I did a load test and it tested weak. Not sure of the accuracy of my tester though. A new Yuasa battery is about $220 plus tax???

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I just watched that video a few days ago.
My Yuasa is about 5 years old and I have it on a battery tender off and on in my cold garage.
Is it a smart charger with a desulfate cycle? If so, are you leaving it on charge long enough for it to indicate that it is fully charged and has passed the test cycles successfully? Not doing so is not a good idea. If it doesn't go through its full cycle of any of the combinations of charge, rest, test, desulfate, charge, etc. as it determines is required, I have read is not good for the battery.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I bought my ST1100 in August of '18, and put in an $88 Everstart AGM from Walmart, and slow-charged it before installing it.

Since then, it has spent the past three winters, including this one, outside, under a bike cover, with no charger or tender at all.

Every spring, as well as a couple of weeks ago, it has started as though it had been ridden the day before, except more choke.

Bike
st1300, xr250
I have an 2004 that I replaced the original battery in 2012 or 13 with an OEM that is still good. I do keep a trickle charger on it if I'm riding it for a couple weeks.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I am a big fan of the El Cheapo AGM batteries- my last one was from Chromebattery.com, 39$ including shipping. It's 3 years old now ( knock wood), and still turns the bike over well. I do use a desulphating Battery Minder unit on it, on a timer. I alternate it between the NC700X, and the ST. My last battery ( a Scorpion) lasted 7 years.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Is it a smart charger with a desulfate cycle? If so, are you leaving it on charge long enough for it to indicate that it is fully charged and has passed the test cycles successfully? Not doing so is not a good idea. If it doesn't go through its full cycle of any of the combinations of charge, rest, test, desulfate, charge, etc. as it determines is required, I have read is not good for the battery.
I always leave it on the tender to achieve a full charge. Sometimes it only takes a few hrs. I'm not sure if my tender has a de-sulphate cycle. I'll have to take a look.

Thanks Andrew

Top Bottom