ST1300 clutch push-rod/ lifter rod seal replacement

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
it pulls out and bottoms on the frame.

thanks for the reminder:
as an extra measure while I had the rod extended, was to polish the shaft to remove any crud that may have embedded itself that could wear the new seal. I used the back side of 1" sandpaper roll with simichrome till i could see myself :)

I believe the failing rubber on the shaft seal was due to the DOT fluid being constantly involved on its surface.
ok, that makes sense then

Bike
‘19 Versys 650LT
STOC #
This old thread helps me with my new problem. Thanks, Gino, for showing the way!

I pulled my clutch slave cylinder (CSC) last week because of new leakage and dropping fluid level in the master cylinder.

While cleaning out the CSC cavity on the back of the engine, pieces of rubber began shedding from the clutch oil seal which is recessed inside the cavity. Oh boy - what to do? Take a chance that it's just surface rubber but not from the business part of the seal. Down side - put everything back together and end up with hydraulic fluid in the motor oil and vice versa. Not a smart choice of potentially having to go through the agony of removing the CSC again. And messing up the hydraulics and engine oil (and engine?)

I opted to remove/replace the seal. It was intimidating to consider just how to get the seal out of that tight space. Gino's tips led the way to my success.

Steps to success:

1) I initially tried to use my little hook-tipped tools from Harbor Freight. I stuck the tip in along the clutch rod, then rotated outward to the perimeter of the seal,, but just couldn't get enough "umph" to budge the seal.

2) Next is used a longer rigid wire with a hooked end, but same result.

3) Approaching the point of despair, I re-read Gino's post and saw how he punched some holes through the metal body of the seal, then inserted a screw. With nothing to lose, I followed his lead. I used a thin awl and a light hammer to carefully punch holes at the 5, 6, and 7 o'clock positions of the seal. I then threaded in a medium length drywall screw (having no metal screws available of the needed length) just enough to capture the metal, but not enough to hit the aluminum seat. Finally I engaged the assistance of a little cheater bar and successfully levered the seal out. What a relief!

A new seal has been ordered through my local Honda dealer (Motoworld, El Cajon). Should be in later this week.

Igofar wisely recommended using Permatex Ultra Slick Engine Assembly Lube to lubricate the edge of the seal to avoid damaging the rubber surface when inserting back into its home.

20200817_114151~2.jpg 20200817_114216~2.jpg 20200817_114659~2.jpg 20200817_115454_HDR.jpg

ST9

Like a fool I forgot to check the seal when I did the Clutch Slave Cylinder. Can this be done without removing that blasted banjo bolt?

Top Bottom