ST1300 Police Model Battery advice

I would like to replace the battery in this recently acquired 2009 ST1300PA. It appears that they retrofitted a larger capacity battery (oddysey PC545). It was installed on it's side which I read is Ok, but is really crammed in there and very difficult to remove and install. I would like to install a light weight Lithium type battery if possible. Does anyone know if the the police model has an upgraded alternator or anything that might pose a problem retrofitting a smaller battery? I guess I would also have to install anything I find on its side due to the small footprint (3.33"x5.0") of the battery tray. Any help or guidance would be extremely appreciated, thanks.

IMG_8172.jpg

Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #
The alternators are the same, no difference between the models.

I don't have any firsthand experience with Lithium batteries but I'm sure people will chime in with that info

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Ok, but is really crammed in there and very difficult to remove and install.
I can see where that would be a pain but given how anemic the OEM battery is I'd really try to stay with the PC545. Overall they seem to have done quite well for ST1300 members who've fitted them.

There should be no problems with fitting a smaller battery aside from the smaller capacity. I'd think that would hold true for Li batteries as well. Unless there was an absolutely clear advantage in lifespan with an Li of some formula I'd stay with AGM.

Maybe one of those big body and fender suction cups would help extract the battery - surface permitting. Or a flat strong ribbon of some type placed behind and around the battery to help pull it out.

Apply a heavy application of dry silicone spray to put it back.
(Ok - really - just kidding on that bit).

Since the battery shouldn't need to be removed very often I'd live with it and appreciate the extra capacity. It's both surprising and disappointing how fast the standard battery is drained with the IGN left on and the bike not running. So a friend told me.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
My only thoughts would be whatever format you decide upon to switch both batteries so the chemistry remains the same.
If you have just the one battery now and that's all you want to change then disregard this post :)

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I would stay with the PC 545. I have had two Oddysey batteries in bikes and have gotten long life out of them. One in a Suzuki that sat quite a bit. The bike never failed to start even after sitting for months. I did not have it on a tender. I sold the bike after 8 years with that battery in it. It still cranked like the day I put it in. I just sold my 88 Goldwing. That Oddysey was 8 years old. I killed it twice by leaving the key on ACC. by accident. Charge up the battery and it kept going strong.

I just wish they made one for my 1800 wing.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Since the battery shouldn't need to be removed very often I'd live with it and appreciate the extra capacity. It's both surprising and disappointing how fast the standard battery is drained with the IGN left on and the bike not running. So a friend told me.
That's why I intend to re-feed the headlight wire from where it is now to the load side of the ignition kill switch.

If I were shopping for a lithium battery, I'd look for a higher-capacity one that takes up more of the available space.

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
Seitz, does a police ST1300 have factory ABS? If so, the loads on the battery and alternator are higher than those for a non-ABS ST1300.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
If you're not having a problem with the existing battery, I really recommend that you stick with it.

I know that others will have different opinions, but my personal experience with the "recommended" lithium battery for the ST1300 was not positive. I ended up replacing it with a good ol' fashioned Yuasa AGM battery, and all was right with the world again.

Top Bottom