ST1300 steering stem length

Hi there everyone,

As mentioned in my intro today (which I think I posted in the wrong spot... great start to joining the forum :cool:) I don't own a ST but I do have two CBR1100XX's.

One of those is my modified/project bike.
At the moment I'm experimenting with a project that has me seeking a suitable steering stem I can press out and place in another lower triple.
Hense, I'm wondering if anyone here knows the length of the ST1300 steering stem?

The one I'm looking at is from a 2008 donor bike but claims to be the same for years 2003-2018 (I haven't investigated how accurate that claim is).

I'm just chasing a length from the top surface of the lower triple (where the lower steering bearing dust seal sits) to the top of the stem thread (see pic below).
IMG_20230301_232748667.jpg
In this pic I'm just measuring from the underside of the lower dust seal. I don't need a millimetre perfect measure, just something close enough.
If you've got an entire measurement of a stem from top to bottom I can work with that also.

If anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated. :thumb:

OP
OP
TWO Blackbirds?!
soooooo jealous!
What can I say... They're such a great bike I HAD to have two. ;)

But actually, I crashed my 06 some years back and bought it back from my insurer to use as parts. I then bought an 07 to replace it.
When it got down to the wire I decided I couldn't bring myself to part out the 06 when it was classed as a repairable write-off (just seemed like a waste, and I'd owned it for over 120,000klm so had that 'sentimental' attachment) so I fixed it up and got it re-registered. And for now I've decided to keep both.

tonythecarguy

err... motorcycleguy
Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
The st1300 stem is a bit longer than what you have pictured. 244mm as measured in your picture. The casting is another 28mm. The stem sits 3mm below the face of the casting such that there is ~25mm of steel stem pressed into the aluminum cast lower. Accounting for measuring error I would guess the steel stem overall is 270mm

Last edited:
OP
OP
The st1300 stem is a bit longer than what you have pictured. 244mm as measured in your picture. The casting is another 28mm. The stem sits 3mm below the face of the casting such that there is ~25mm of steel stem pressed into the aluminum cast lower. Accounting for measuring error I would guess the steel stem overall is 270mm
Hi tonythecarguy,

Thanks heaps for the great detail, sadly it looks like it might be a bit too long for what I need after all. I think that makes it similar to the one I'm trying to replace (08 CB1000R). I'll confirm this on the weekend.

I'm using the CB1000R lower triple which is alloy and had a steel stem pressed in. Unfortunately as well as being a bit long it is also slightly bent towards the top threads.

The one in the photo is a CBR1000RR (06-07) and is ~224mm. It would be perfect but I'd prefer to keep it intact as it's worth a bit more as a complete part. It appears to be an alloy stem pressed into an alloy lower triple. I also have a little nagging concern in the back of my mind about replacing a steel stem with an alloy stem on a heavier bike. It's might be an unjustified concern as the alloy stem is likely just a weight saving design for the RR bike.

The CBR1100XX is ~223mm however it's a steel stem welded to the steel lower triple. I have no problem butchering this part but there is no guarantee the stem will be suitable afterwards (the ones mentioned above that are pressed in seem to have a slightly larger stem outside diameter at the very base of the stem, I guess to help secure them in the lower triple and eliminate the need to weld them to the alloy lower triple.

Nevermind, I'll keep looking and will keep you updated. If for no other benefit than to have some measurement data online. :thumb:

OP
OP
So I can confirm the steering stem I'm replacing (CB1000R 2008) is the same length as the ST1300 as measured by tonythecarguy above.
I got an overall measurement for the CB1000R stem of 272mm.

Top Bottom