ST1300 Vs VFR1200F

Hi there,

First post for me, I have 07 plate ST1300 with only 13,000 miles on the clock. I’m considering changing for vfr1200f basically due to kinder on the eyes look plus maybe a little more performance.
My concerns are comfort on longer journeys as I travel from Cardiff down to the dordogne in France and some of the VFR reviews are not over encouraging when it comes to comfort.

Regards Dave .A

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dave - I have spent about 1,800 miles riding the VFR1200 in Ireland and the U.K.

and 14,000 miles on ST1300s in Ireland and the U.K. (My ride of choice is the ST1100).

The riding position on the VFR is much more aggressive and a lot less wind protection.
I found the mirrors to be useless except for seeing my elbows.
I loved the engine, the power and the handling but you also loose about 1/3 of your luggage space compared to the ST1300.
I'm an old man and I rode it hard and fast from one coast of Ireland to the other so you can make it do.
But you will miss the comfort and wind protection of the ST1300.
You don't mention a pillion, but the VFR is definitely not a 'two up' motorcycle.
Where are you in Wales - near the Lake District by any chance?

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Dave:

Welcome to the forum.

@Uncle Phil really said it all, there's not much to add. @fnmag summed it up pretty well - you'll lose comfort & weather protection. I think your lower back would never forgive you if you switched over to the VFR - heck, most of us have added bar risers to our ST 1300s before we reached your present age.

What you might want to consider is perhaps a tune-up of your ST 1300 - there might be some additional speed & faster acceleration waiting for you. Syncing the starter valves & cleaning out the 5-way-tee will make a difference. We have articles explaining how to do that in the ST 1300 Articles section of the forum. If you are not doing so already, try running on the highest grade of premium fuel that is available in Wales - the ST 1300 runs OK on regular grade gasoline, but it will be snappier and faster on ethanol-free super-premium... the ECU can detect the difference (by way of detecting when pre-ignition happens) and the ECU does dial back engine performance when regular grade gasoline is used.

Michael

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I’m the same age as you and also have a 07. I’ve put almost 100,000 miles on it since new. I have rode a VFR1200. Yes it is a lot faster. But it is not even close on comfort. And it drinks gas compared to the ST.
Have you considered a FJR? A little more sportier than the ST. But way more comfortable the the VFR.
I have always liked the VFR1200. And wouldn’t mind having one as a extra bike. It it wouldn’t be my traveling bike. I’m too old and broke down for it.

OP
OP
Dave - I have spent about 1,800 miles riding the VFR1200 in Ireland and the U.K.

and 14,000 miles on ST1300s in Ireland and the U.K. (My ride of choice is the ST1100).

The riding position on the VFR is much more aggressive and a lot less wind protection.
I found the mirrors to be useless except for seeing my elbows.
I loved the engine, the power and the handling but you also loose about 1/3 of your luggage space compared to the ST1300.
I'm an old man and I rode it hard and fast from one coast of Ireland to the other so you can make it do.
But you will miss the comfort and wind protection of the ST1300.
You don't mention a pillion, but the VFR is definitely not a 'two up' motorcycle.
Where are you in Wales - near the Lake District by any chance?
Hi guys

Thank you for your reply much appreciated, to answer the question where I live I’m about 40 minutes from the Brecon Beacons in Wales. An area which is popular for bikers due to its winding roads and long straights, I do have a pillion my wife who’s pretty much settled with the St1300. Our previous bike was The Honda CBR1000FM which was a great all rounder but became a little cramped after a trip to the dordogne hence the change to the ST. Thanks again for the feedback back think I’ll hold on to ST1300. Regards Dave.A

Bike
2010 ST-1300
How about the VFR1200X ? I see 2016 left overs here for $10,000. Would be a nice bike with a decent set of luggage. Also check out the Verseys 1000. Incredible bike for the money. Might be my next bike.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
If she’s happy, then you have two winners. Go for some upgraded suspension for sure, and maybe some sportier sounding exhaust to scratch the sporting itch.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
It didn’t take long for the ST1300 make me smile but as far as how it looks, after 18 months and 21,000 miles it’s starting to look ok.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
FJR1300 sounds like the perfect bike for you - if you like the looks of course. It's just as comfortable as the ST (if not more), but it's a lot more powerful, agile, and fun. I've had ST1100, ST1300, as well as the FJR, so ping me if you want more specifics

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
The 1200 is a great engine, and if Honda would hire an actual stylist, maybe an Italian guy, they could come up with a attractive sport touring package. I alway have thought the VFR1200 is ugly... The ST1300 not far behind....

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Make a list. Make a list of want you want out of your motorcycle. Prioritize the list. Then look for a motorcycle that fills the majority of those needs. Everyone has an opinion even if they have never ridden a specific bike. I have always thought that Honda is missing the market mark for the US and now with the motorcycle market diminishing, sellers going out of business, sales down, etc. I see Honda doing doing really new for the US market.

I will tell you that I have had a VFR1200X for 20k miles now and for me I find it an overall superior bike to the ST1300. In today's technology they are both simple technology, very few electronic and computerized features, unlike BMW and others. My wife rides her own bike so from a pillion perspective I have no comment. We all have to decide on styling of these beasts too. Many times style does not mean performance, comfort or reliability. There is always a compromise.

Top Bottom