Strip map/routing directions display box

Bike
2010 ST1300
What do you call that little display box with rollers top and bottom that allows you to read one routing instruction, roll the strip up, and read the next instruction? I saw these on ebay ages ago, but forgot what they are called so I cannot search for them. They use them in the Motorcycle Cannonball antique 'run' and car rallies used to use them before computers replaced everything.

Any ideas on software to print out the instructions? Lets make this difficult - for an Apple computer? (If need be, I can use a friend's PC).

Somewhere on either this site or Advrider.com there is a discussion about how to print the directions. I can't find it now but I know I've read it in the past.

What do you call that little display box with rollers top and bottom that allows you to read one routing instruction, roll the strip up, and read the next instruction? I saw these on ebay ages ago, but forgot what they are called so I cannot search for them. They use them in the Motorcycle Cannonball antique 'run' and car rallies used to use them before computers replaced everything.

Any ideas on software to print out the instructions? Lets make this difficult - for an Apple computer? (If need be, I can use a friend's PC).

WWI flyers used them also.

World War One? Like 'turn left at the big red barn with 1888 on the roof'? What kinds of instructions did they have? 'Turn south at the big river'?
maybe a photograph of the target, with a big red "X" drawn over it.

World War One? Like 'turn left at the big red barn with 1888 on the roof'? What kinds of instructions did they have? 'Turn south at the big river'?

They used the same paper ground maps the army used. Plotted their route on it. Aerial navigation, visual, was on par with nautical navigation which had made Great Brittain (almost) king of the world. Our ancestors weren't ignorant, well, most anyway...just limited by the level of technology of the time.

Back
Top Bottom