Swingarm Pivot Socket Tool?

Bike
91 ST1100 Black
STOC #
My alternator is leaking oil just a bit and I want to replace the o-rings. I already have the 17mm allen (made one) and the replacement o-rings. I plan to make my own Lewis pin as well. I was looking at the loaner toolkit on ST-Riders.net but since it is really for guys wishing to upgrade to the 40 amp I hate to tie it up just to replace o-rings. Does anyone in the Nashville/Middle TN area have the socket tool and would be willing to loan it to me for a few days?
Thanks in advance!

Doug, the backup upgrade tool kit is available, and it's for 28amper R&Rs and/or maintenance too. Are you sure it's the alternator shaft assy O-ring that's leaking? More common is the potted area on the stator where the wires enter it.

Regards, John [Keeper Of The Kits]

John,
Let's just say I think it's leaking from where the gear assy enters the crankcase. I cleaned the entire area with solvent a couple of weeks ago and then watched it to see where the oil appeared first but the area around the wires is oily too. What is the fix for the leaky wires?

Someone here or on ST-Riders recommended a product that would supposedly seal the area around the wires and stop the common leak/seep/weep. The only one that I've ever heard of being effective in this problem area. Sorry, I can't find it right now. Evidently, I'm incapable of using the search function here successfully... even to find STuff that I poSTed. :)

BTW, while rare, I do recall at least three cases of failure of the Alternator Shaft Assembly O-ring on early year ST1100s (all 1991s, IIRC). One failure was almost catastrophic as it failed while underway and dumped engine oil all over the rear end, including the rear tire. Probably a good idea to get a definite fix on the source of your leak, Doug. FWIW

If you want to borrow the whole kit (or just the Honda special tool for the left swingarm pivot bolt lockring), just follow the loan instructions at ST-Riders.net and I'll sent them (it) right out.

John

Sorry, I can't find it right now. Evidently, I'm incapable of using the search function here successfully... even to find STuff that I poSTed.

Found it:

"$8 fix for dripping 28A alternators" by Mark Coles STOC 8071 (LoSTBrit):

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?84735-8-fix-for-dripping-28A-alternators

PTX-82096.jpg

Keep us poSTed, please.

Regards, Joh

Someone here or on ST-Riders recommended a product that would supposedly seal the area around the wires and stop the common leak/seep/weep. The only one that I've ever heard of being effective in this problem area. Sorry, I can't find it right now. Evidently, I'm incapable of using the search function here successfully... even to find STuff that I poSTed. :)

BTW, while rare, I do recall at least three cases of failure of the Alternator Shaft Assembly O-ring on early year ST1100s (all 1991s, IIRC). One failure was almost catastrophic as it failed while underway and dumped engine oil all over the rear end, including the rear tire. Probably a good idea to get a definite fix on the source of your leak, Doug. FWIW

If you want to borrow the whole kit (or just the Honda special tool for the left swingarm pivot bolt lockring), just follow the loan instructions at ST-Riders.net and I'll sent them/it right out.

John

Not sure if you're looking for a post in these results (using the advanced search, put your name in the member field and the key words above that then at the bottom click 'posts')
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1743588

Not sure if you're looking for a post in these results (using the advanced search, put your name in the member field and the key words above that then at the bottom click 'posts')
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1743588

Hi Joe. I guess your link was to show one way to get to/see an 'Advanced Search' link/page. I've used the regular 'Search' button to get to an advanced search as you mentioned. With mixed results over the years and forum software changes. In this case I didn't poST to Mark's thread, but found a link to it in this thread:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?86135
which I did find with a search on, "ST1100 oil leak"
This thread should also be of interest to Doug, the OP.

John

Thanks John for all the info. I think I'll swing over to ST-Riders.net and sign up for the kit. I already have the bike torn down and the o-rings on hand so I might as well do it right. Plus I won't have to fab a Lewis tool.
Btw, years ago I owned a boat that came from Bettendorf, Iowa. Is Bettendorf anywhere near Ottumwa? That's where Radar was from. :)

Doug, the kit is in the mail. Keep us poSTed on the R&R (take pictures...!?).

Bettendorf is on the east coast of Iowa, on the banks of the mighty Mississippi. Ottumwa is ~135miles SW of here.

Regards, John

Back
Top Bottom