synthetic dot3/4 brake fluid

Bike
st1100
STOC #
Has anyone used this before in the clutch and brakes. It says it is compatable with non synthetic, great for abs,disc,and drums. I have a non-abs 1100 and was going to try it unless someone else knows something bad about using it. The only downfall I can see is that it is clear and would be hard to tell level. :bow1:

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Valvoline Syn for me, too. Works fine. Unless you ride really hard, in the mountains, I suspect plain old DOT 4 is fine, but the Valvoline is only a little more expensive, so what the heck.

STOC #
Sooooo... what is the difference between so called synthetic brake fluid and just plain old regular brake fluid? If you said "there is no difference" move to the head of the class. It's all about marketing.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Sooooo... what is the difference between so called synthetic brake fluid and just plain old regular brake fluid? If you said "there is no difference" move to the head of the class. It's all about marketing.
I think it stays cleaner a bit longer. Maybe repells moisture a bit better. Again no facts, just my observations on my ST.

STOC #
Chuck, my point is that ALL brake fluid can be said to be "synthetic". Use of the word synthetic in reference to brake fluid is a marketing ploy, nothing more.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Chuck, my point is that ALL brake fluid can be said to be "synthetic". Use of the word synthetic in reference to brake fluid is a marketing ploy, nothing more.

I agree there. Does the synthetic label mean there is no petroleum product in the fluid. That it is all made in the lab?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I agree there. Does the synthetic label mean there is no petroleum product in the fluid. That it is all made in the lab?
There are no petroleum products in any DOT brake fluid.
Glycols, which form the basis for brake fluids before DOT 5, can be organic or synthetic. One of the advantages synthetic compounds have over organics is the ability for the manufacturer to maintain very tight control over their properties, which can make for a higher-quality product.

--Mark

Top Bottom