tell me about a Triumph Trophy 1200..

Hi,
Yesterday on the way up north with my son we stopped by a little Honda dealer and they had a 2002 Triumph Trophy 1200 for sale. I thought is was brand new but it had 15,000 miles. The bike was interesting to me..... I 'm not going to buy it but what are the pros and cons about this bike...
Thanks Dave

Although I did not own a Trophy, I have owned a Sprint RS and a Sprint ST. The Troughy has an in line 4 1200cc engine. The downfall for this bike is that it is chain drive and not shaft. A few had gear box problems. The fit and finish is not as good at an ST or Concourse to me. However, it was a very striking bike, especially in the British racing green. Also maintenance for my Triumphs were a little more expensive than the Hondas.

I had a '98 Trophy 900, the exact same bike but with one less cylinder. Loved it! Bullet-proof engine, although it sounds pretty noisy. Good handling and brakes. Different body styling. The original seat is rubbish. Get a Corbin. It took me coast-to-coast and neither of us complained. Since the Trophy is discontinued and never was a big seller, I'd think about parts availability. That's why I sold mine.

I had a '98 Trophy 900, the exact same bike but with one less cylinder. Loved it! Bullet-proof engine, although it sounds pretty noisy. Good handling and brakes. Different body styling. The original seat is rubbish. Get a Corbin. It took me coast-to-coast and neither of us complained. Since the Trophy is discontinued and never was a big seller, I'd think about parts availability. That's why I sold mine.
They do sound like diesels. The seat is one of the worst, I replaced mine with a Corbin recently and it makes a world of difference. I haven't had any issues finding parts yet.

I owned a '96 Trophy 1200. I took it for a test ride and fell in love with it. The power it made put a smile on my face. It was comfortable and I thought the style at the time was more modern looking than the ST1100.

The bike was happy to lumber along or ride at 120 mph. Rock stable at high speed. Sidebags easily fit a full face helmet.

First long distance ride I took was on the Trophy. Rode from South Dakota to Las Vegas and back.

The Trophy isn't perfect like a Honda. The paint was too soft. The switchgear looked like it was robbed from Kawasaki. Didn't matter. I loved that bike.

My Neighbor has a 1998 Trophy ST with 71,000 miles on it and still going strong. I ride with him a lot...

Back
Top Bottom