Thermostat Replacement Following Service Manual or Shortcuts

Bike
'05 ST1300
My '05 1300 has been between 1-3 bars on the coolant temp gauge in the late fall/winter months, and so I am preparing to remove and inspect/replace the thermostat. I have successfully removed the radiator, and it appears that I can simply unbolt a metal brace-looking part on the frame and access the t-stat housing that way. However, the shop manual recommends removing the throttle body(!) and removing all connecting hoses to the t-stat housing. Is this actually necessary? I have fooled myself by taking shortcuts before, so I was curious to hear the experience of others before I start pulling parts.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My '05 1300 has been between 1-3 bars on the coolant temp gauge in the late fall/winter months, and so I am preparing to remove and inspect/replace the thermostat. I have successfully removed the radiator, and it appears that I can simply unbolt a metal brace-looking part on the frame and access the t-stat housing that way. However, the shop manual recommends removing the throttle body(!) and removing all connecting hoses to the t-stat housing. Is this actually necessary? I have fooled myself by taking shortcuts before, so I was curious to hear the experience of others before I start pulling parts.
I can send you a step by step tutorial on a pdf walking through the process of coming at it from the front. Many of us have used it to do this job. Yes, the Honda service manual details removal of the air box and throttle bodies but it is not necessary and a lot more work not to mention the possibility of messing up something that is perfectly fine at the moment. The files are large so send me an email address in PM you want them to come to (if you want the tutorial).

Good day!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I hope @Camrysandcoffee and @skulldugger tightened the hose clamps a bit on whatever you could reach near the thermostat while you were in there. Honda's narrow clamps have a tendency to allow a drip to leak out over time. This is why there are so many threads on replacing the clamps.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
I hope @Camrysandcoffee and @skulldugger tightened the hose clamps a bit on whatever you could reach near the thermostat while you were in there. Honda's narrow clamps have a tendency to allow a drip to leak out over time. This is why there are so many threads on replacing the clamps.
All tightened! At least the ones I could reach. No drips so far!

Top Bottom