Thermostat?

The wife and I just got back from a 675 mile trip riding thru northern Texas. When we left the temperature was in the 40's. I warmed the ST up for a few minutes while we were getting ready, it got up to 3 bars then we left. We hadn't gone far and noticed it was back down to 1 bar and stayed that way most of the day. Basically did this for the next 2 days. It put a damper on the whole trip thinking about having to change the thermostat out besides getting crappier gas mileage. My question is, does everyone go back with the stock thermostat or is there a aftermarket replacement that works better? I quess I'm fixxin to see what her guts look like. :eek:

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Same things happened to mine 1 year ago. Stat was stuck open.

I replaced with a Turbo Tom's stat. Easy to do, but took some time.

Kevin

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I did a good system cleaning/flushing, cleaned the radiator inlets of overspray, cleaned the overflow bottle with cleaning solution and bb's, replaced the thermostat with another oem unit and oem coolant at 33k miles (2 years). I now have 74k miles (3-1/2 years) and all is still working properly.

Ray

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Interesting link to Engine Ice. I think Peak makes a propylene glycol based antifreeze that's probably quite similar, maybe they even make Engine Ice under contract? I'm not sure how Engine Ice can reduce operating temperatures when its thermal conductivity is lower (according the their own charts) than standard 50/50 ethylene glycol and water though. :confused:

I'm also confused to see road racers using coolant of any type as I thought they were outlawed as too slippery and too hard to clean up in the event of a spill. I don't see why PG should be any less slippery than EG :confused: :confused:

I went with OEM cuz it was under warranty, actually, mine wasn't stuck, it was leaking and the dealer replaced it anyway.

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
JuST inSTalled the TurboCity version of the ThermosSTat and Fuel Regulator.

No issues or concerns with the STock items to share . . . . however heard enough about the STock thermoSTat to replace at 16000 miles. Wanted to try Turbo City version of Fuel Regulator as throttle "roll-on" is supposed to be far superior to Honda OEM and also said to increase MPG by 1 to 3 more.

Another couple-o-hundred miles and I should be able to share a little more.

Top Bottom