Gloves Thinking about Li Heated Gloves or Oxford Grips this winter.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Another user of Symtec grip heaters here. They allow me to use the Pro Grip 714 grips I really like.

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Like I posted in the Bikemaster heated grips thread,

I just took my first ride yesterday (~37°F) with the Oxford heated grips on my '05 ST1300...and...I'm disappointed.

No problem with the Oxfords. They heated up nice and toasty. Plenty of heat to keep my palms warm. Unfortunately I noticed that I never have any finger but my pointer on the grips. The other three fingers ride on top of the clutch or brake levers. I do all the pulling with my middle and ring fingers and the pinky just hangs out there doing nothing.

When I'm riding in temps below about 5°F, it is just my fingers which cause problems. I'm fine above 10°F with just Klim snowmobile gloves and unheated liners. From 10°F to 5°F fingers get uncomfortable during my 30 minute commute but it's manageable. Under 5°F I need something but heated grips aren't going to do what I need with six fingers flying in the breeze.

Heated grips aren't for me, apparently.

I'm going to buy some Li-ion battery powered gloves (and a fireproof bag to use while charging). Next time the forecast is for sub-10°F during my commute, I'll let you know how they work.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Did you guys have to lift the tank to install them?

DRT you have to prop it up to run wires but it's a nice plug n play set up. I had the Oxford's on my ST and with the mitts I used over the switches I never had them on over 40%even at 2 below zero and wore summer weight deerskin gloves all year round.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Like I posted in the Bikemaster heated grips thread,

I just took my first ride yesterday (~37°F) with the Oxford heated grips on my '05 ST1300...and...I'm disappointed.

No problem with the Oxfords. They heated up nice and toasty. Plenty of heat to keep my palms warm. Unfortunately I noticed that I never have any finger but my pointer on the grips. The other three fingers ride on top of the clutch or brake levers. I do all the pulling with my middle and ring fingers and the pinky just hangs out there doing nothing.

When I'm riding in temps below about 5°F, it is just my fingers which cause problems. I'm fine above 10°F with just Klim snowmobile gloves and unheated liners. From 10°F to 5°F fingers get uncomfortable during my 30 minute commute but it's manageable. Under 5°F I need something but heated grips aren't going to do what I need with six fingers flying in the breeze.

Heated grips aren't for me, apparently.

I'm going to buy some Li-ion battery powered gloves (and a fireproof bag to use while charging). Next time the forecast is for sub-10°F during my commute, I'll let you know how they work.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota
yeah, heated grips are a nice add-on for cool temps or to help along with heated gloves. But, constant contact is needed to transfer that heat to just one part of your hands. If you move or pull your hands away for any reason the heat dissipates and the cycle starts over. For any real cold weather riding or extended cool weather.. heated gloves are the way to go as you get full coverage no matter where your hands are.

Top Bottom