tiger review

STOC #
Someone asked so here goes

Some might remember I had a wing then an st then a wing then an st then a blackbird now a tiger since aug.

So what do i think think about the tiger? Its a great bike. A few short coming but im enjoying it very much.

First on 6.1 riding position can be an issue on many bikes. I believe the riding position to be the most comfortable i have ever had. That includes my st. but riding position isn't the only thing to consider when your talking about comfort. On the tiger your are going to have wind. LOTS of wind. If you want to be out of the wind your not going to like the tiger. Your arms are in the wind , your legs are in the wind, your chest is in the wind , your head is in the wind its shall we say windy. I don't think its the best choice for running 13 hour days down the interstate. Yes you can get bigger windshields and yes people do ride them down the interstate but as ST owners you know the st will do this task much much better. What i had forgotten over the years being in the wind is actually pleasant in warm weather and riding back roads. I have found that the annoying noise of wind rumble on the helmet is almost gone. If i cut the windshield down a bit lower i suspect it will be all gone. There seems to be adequate room for a smaller passanger on this bike. Reach to foot pegs for the passanger is significantly better then on my black bird but its not an st. In the summer time there was no motor heat to speak of. No more roasted legs.

Motor- If you have never ridden a triple you really should. A super flat torq curve great power its a giggle an a half. Pulls from the basement to red line. I really like this motor. I thought i would miss the power of the blackbird in comparison but this motor has been great. A bit buzy sometimes but nothing that has really bothered me. I think the buzz is more from the chain drive. At speed the bike spins a bit higher then im used to but im still getting about 5 mpg better then i did on the st and about 10 better then the bird.

Handling- The bike is light and flickable with the big handlebars. The bike is very stable at speeds even about 120+ range. The biggest issue for me with the bike is the suspension. I find the spring rates wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to soft. I hear the front forks have a rate of .68. They will be replaced for a couple of reasons. Mostly I can't take full advantage of the brakes as the brakes will collapse the long travel suspension and get the rear end light. I can't remember the last bike i had that i didn't change out the fork springs so part of this is my preference and kind of standard practice when i get any bike. The rear shock spring is also to light. Many upgrade the shock to olins but race tech and hyperpro both make spring only upgrades for the rear shock which i might do to save money over buying an aftermarket shock. I'm not sure how far i want to go with this bike in the farkle range.

Triumph side bags. I don't have then I don't want them. I have a trunk mounted using sw mototech rack. I also have the side rack from sw moto tech that will accept givi or such side bags. Triumph bags are just to small in my opinion. I will get the givi side bags when i do some two up traveling and need them. I have found a trunk is all i need for days rides. This make the bike much easier to hop on and hop off all day long.

Over all I like this bike a bunch. Its a giggle and wierd and I just enjoy riding it. Oh yea, I drank the koolaid and have a blue one.

Sounds like you have a great bike there. I've been thinking about adding a Sprint GT to my garage. Nothing wrong with getting a little buzz on your bike. I think that's what writers call character. Enjoy and stay safe.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I think that's what writers call character.
"What the Italians call character the Japanese consider design flaws and the Germans deny to their graves." (Larry Grodsky...RIP)

Not sure where the English fit in...love that 1050 triple, however.

Bike
99 ST1100
Nice review, nybryan!

Do you take it off roading at all? I'm not talkin' about the Dakar rally just mild to moderate trips off the pavement.

I love my ST1100 but I sometimes find myself wanting to explore areas of marginal pavement to gravel to dirt that I'm just not comfortable with on the ST.

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
Nice review. I got chance to ride an 07 Tiger. I liked it lot but it was out of my price range. Got an 06 Scrambler instead. Not as quick as a Tiger but I can be taken off road occasionally. I too attached a cheapie top box and with my tank bag its even good for a weekend. Its a bit windy too.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
OP
nybryan
STOC #
sorry no pictures. The trunk is a jc whitney large flat black. A givi rip off but for 68 dollars with the mounting plate and a backrest what do i care. I haven't taken the bike off road but i have ridden down some dirt roads. Does that fine. The bike has street tires went down the unpaved roads well enough. I'm enjoying it very much.

OP
OP
nybryan
STOC #
the top hasn't leaked yet but i haven't been in any frog chokers with it. I think they are popular with the vstrom and klr guys. I did do some light mods to the trunk. Firstly- the trim molding piece is this ugly orange. I took it off and spray painted it black, second the bolts wheren't the best quality. Local hardware store and got a few bolts and fender washers, and thirdly the mounting plate allowed the trunk to rattle a touch, i added a piece of plumbing rubber matt between the plate and the box to take up the clearance nicely.

Bike
2007 ST1300A6
Here is my old Tiger at rest somewhere in France and over looking a reservoir here in Wales. I toured on it and it was very comfortable and economical on fuel and it had a great motor, but a somewhat notchy gear-change, (but not half as bad as some people would have you think). It had very good build quality and decent if a little soft handling.

Sadly, it is no more as the Tiger and I came into contact with a van in March this year. The Tiger was a write-off and I almost was.

Attachments

Shytown

Someone asked so here goes

Some might remember I had a wing then an st then a wing then an st then a blackbird now a tiger since aug.

So what do i think think about the tiger? Its a great bike. A few short coming but im enjoying it very much.

First on 6.1 riding position can be an issue on many bikes. I believe the riding position to be the most comfortable i have ever had. That includes my st. but riding position isn't the only thing to consider when your talking about comfort. On the tiger your are going to have wind. LOTS of wind. If you want to be out of the wind your not going to like the tiger. Your arms are in the wind , your legs are in the wind, your chest is in the wind , your head is in the wind its shall we say windy. I don't think its the best choice for running 13 hour days down the interstate. Yes you can get bigger windshields and yes people do ride them down the interstate but as ST owners you know the st will do this task much much better. What i had forgotten over the years being in the wind is actually pleasant in warm weather and riding back roads. I have found that the annoying noise of wind rumble on the helmet is almost gone. If i cut the windshield down a bit lower i suspect it will be all gone. There seems to be adequate room for a smaller passanger on this bike. Reach to foot pegs for the passanger is significantly better then on my black bird but its not an st. In the summer time there was no motor heat to speak of. No more roasted legs.

Motor- If you have never ridden a triple you really should. A super flat torq curve great power its a giggle an a half. Pulls from the basement to red line. I really like this motor. I thought i would miss the power of the blackbird in comparison but this motor has been great. A bit buzy sometimes but nothing that has really bothered me. I think the buzz is more from the chain drive. At speed the bike spins a bit higher then im used to but im still getting about 5 mpg better then i did on the st and about 10 better then the bird.

Handling- The bike is light and flickable with the big handlebars. The bike is very stable at speeds even about 120+ range. The biggest issue for me with the bike is the suspension. I find the spring rates wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to soft. I hear the front forks have a rate of .68. They will be replaced for a couple of reasons. Mostly I can't take full advantage of the brakes as the brakes will collapse the long travel suspension and get the rear end light. I can't remember the last bike i had that i didn't change out the fork springs so part of this is my preference and kind of standard practice when i get any bike. The rear shock spring is also to light. Many upgrade the shock to olins but race tech and hyperpro both make spring only upgrades for the rear shock which i might do to save money over buying an aftermarket shock. I'm not sure how far i want to go with this bike in the farkle range.

Triumph side bags. I don't have then I don't want them. I have a trunk mounted using sw mototech rack. I also have the side rack from sw moto tech that will accept givi or such side bags. Triumph bags are just to small in my opinion. I will get the givi side bags when i do some two up traveling and need them. I have found a trunk is all i need for days rides. This make the bike much easier to hop on and hop off all day long.

Over all I like this bike a bunch. Its a giggle and wierd and I just enjoy riding it. Oh yea, I drank the koolaid and have a blue one.
I will tell you, I owned a 2002 Tiger 955i, and i am 6'2" and I had a Windshield made by Gustaffson out of Florida, it was a specially made windshield for the Tiger, wind was never an issue, i would stand on my tippy toes at stop lights, and it was by far won of the most fun motorcycles i have owned to date. They messed the Tiger up by making it Sportier,,,IMHO, my opinion folks,, some like it this way, to each their own, if i want sport i will be a ST bike as i did, but now they have the new 800! i will have to go check that out,,,as I owned a BMW K1200LTC and it was the best bike i have owned yet for all things considered,,,but it was a PIG, But i will not own another BMW due to the costs of owning all that Technology! let me share this with you, it cost 350 dollars to bleed the front brakes,,, no you cant do it yourself,,, you need the BMW computer system to do it,,, Great bikes,,,man will run forever as long as you have deep pockets.
If i buy another,,it wont have ABS!
But to anyone who owns a 02' Tiger I am and will always be envious,, although i have stories of that 02' and its issues, but they were minimal and went away within the first 2500 miles,, Triumph makes excellent bikes, and now with the Return of the Trophy,, that is another bike i need to check out!
Dano

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
The Trophy looks mind blowing. 1200 triple, FI, shaft drive, ABS and more. Coming later this year as a 2012 model. See PG 18 Feb 2011 Motorcyclist magazine.

Top Bottom