tireguard elecronic tire pressure monitor

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Had this for over two years and it works great!! Would do it again. I have been running it with rubber stems the whole time but I do replace the stem each time I have a tire mounted!!! better to be safe!

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
If you have a motorcycle Smartire unit, the car sensor units will work as well as ever...but does anyone know of a stash of the sensor units? Canada...China...North Korea? They do run out of power in several years. Vulcan was my source, but I haven't checked recently. I don't know how they work...there's no obvious battery...but they do, and saved me once with a puncture. But mostly, they keep me concious of keeping my 42psi. Those 82 degree valve stems really hold pressure well.. I probably lose 1 psi in a month. Yes, tempurature effects things, but Curvey Girl has them in many colors.
But back to Smartire...where can I get sensors? I want to keep riding until I'm old and grey...well, I am grey...but they're getting rare. I don't need a 100, just a few.

John

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I'm curious where people have their display unit. Right now I velcroed it to the top of the front brake fluid reservoir.
My smarTire is mounted to the left of the dash, where the little vent is. I think the sender for the TireGard might be velcro'd there, too. Other possibilities would be on the black plastic between gauges and the idiot lights, or velcro'd to the clear plastic where I have my gear indicator.

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
My rubber valve stem finally failed. It was crooked and split. I'm guessing because of the tire pressure monitor valve cap. Lucky I noticed it and was close to home. I'll use metal valve stems from now on.

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
Blue, it's comforting to see that great minds think alike. I installed my Smartire unit just a little deeper into the vent. The two sensor motorcycle unit is no longer being manufactured, but I couldn't see why a four sensor car unit using just two sensor wouldn't work. The in tire sensor units available from Vulcan Tire say they are for car use, but they work just fine sending the temp and pressure to my motorcycle receiver. The batteries have lasted over four years.
The other things you see in the pictures are my Sony RM-X55M marine remote controller for the Sony CD/radio down in the left fairing pocket running speakers in the fairing, my Garmin Zumo 550 mount held on with a RAM lockable ball stalk to a ball mounted on a threaded rod running down through the steering head, a Marc Parnes LED radar warning flasher unit mounted in the other vent opening next to a Turbo Tom radar mount, a little red/green charging indicator bulb mount right on the upper dash edge from Aerostitch, a GPI from member PD Furth mounted under the plastic lens on the right,...and, of course, a STOC key fob...and it's all done without a bit of Gorrilla tape :)

John

Attachments

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I had tried to get automotive sensors for the SmartTire, but they have been discontinued as well. I also carefully disassembled a sensor to see if the batteries were replaceable, but there is no real practical way.... so SmartTire is gone. So I moved on to a Kisan system (which I would not recommend), then to a Doran which I currently use. I like the Orange system as the best one I've seen to date, but I'm OK with the Doran. It does not display pressures constantly, nor temperatures, but does have a great warning LED that is hard to miss in daylight.

Top Bottom