Trailer vrs. Top Box

I ordered a Hondaline top box a while ago, and I'm still waiting patiently for it to arrive. In the meantime, I've been thinking more and more about getting a trailer. Most of them are pricey (in the $3,000 to $5,000 range), but I've been doing a little research and there are some basic trailers you can get for around $700 to $800, which is not much more than I'm spending on a Hondaline top box. If you look at the luggage capacity, there is no comparison; the trailers can hold a heck of a lot more than the topbox and saddlebags combined. I've also never liked the way topboxes carry the extra weight up high in the air; I think it's much better to have it down low, like in the saddlebags. And, if you use a hitch, the weight is on the hitch, which is even lower. I know there is something about towing a trailer that seems very un-motorcycle, but if you can get over that, it actually doesn't seem like such a bad idea. I used to think all the plastic on today's sport tourers also seemed un-motorcycle like, but I've got used to that. Maybe a trailer isn't far off on the horizon. I'd rather have an ST with a trailer than a Gold Wing that I got just for the extra luggage capacity. Am I missing something?

I just packed my Bushtec for tentSTOC. 10x10 tent, cot, 1ST night's firewood, dining fly.....etc. Nice to have amenities. I don't fill the ice chest on the tongue until I get near my destination when it's on this bike. I used to fill it for the road when I towed with bigger bikes (Valk,ST) but I'm on a 500lb 750 and don't want too much.
The trailer weighs 125 and my loaded wt is about 220. About 20 on the tongue and no gear on the bike at all.
I bought the trailer about 10 years ago for $1200 and have towed it with several bikes. My cost per year goes down every year :rolleyes:

I travel w/and w/o the trailer each has it's advantage.

I think like you on this topic. Trick out an HF trailer for the same coin.

I have been looking at the top boxes but I really don't think they hold much as far as what I want them to hold. The trailer is a good plan as it puts the weight lower and allows for towing strange items like guitars and amps and stands and cables and ..... you get the picture.

I will PM H2orider from knoxville. I know he is making some one wheeled trailers with hitch. Will see if you can post pictures and prices. He told me he has sold 15 already.

The Uni-Go hitch is great but you do need a adapter if you want to haul a ballmount trailer rather than a Uni-go .
I just purchased a Uni-go trailer used two days ago and will comment on it after I get it hooked up

There is a guy on Ebay selling these trailers for around $700. That would mean the trailer plus hitch would be around $1,000. Seems like a pretty good deal (see below).

My Best Buddy Cargo Trailer XL

Spend Time. Save Money.

'09 BRAND NEW Cargo Trailer for 2 wheels 3 wheels or 4 wheels

Our competitor charges extra for features which are standard on our trailer:

12" Chrome Wheels - Standard

Torsion Axle - Standard

Please Also See Our Ad for the Sports XL Model

We know that getting away and traveling with family and friends is PRICELESS, but we believe that getting there shouldn't be. That's why we created a spacious cargo trailer that is a muscular, HIGH QUALITY, and Economical alternative to our competitors' product: My Best Buddy Cargo Trailer XL. The chassis of My Best Buddy Cargo Trailer XL is formed from durable aluminum, and the 18 cubic foot cargo box is constructed from High Density Polyethylene (HDPE). This combination of materials makes My Best Buddy Cargo Trailer XL not only light weight, but also TOUGH!!! Less weight means less money spent on gas, and that means more money to spend on making memories.

Using a 1-7/8" Coupler, My Best Buddy Cargo Trailer XL can be pulled behind:

Motorcycles

ATVs

SUVs

Cars

Vans

Construction Equipment

FEATURES:

Corrosion Resistant Aluminum Chassis
Light weight High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)- helps reduce fuel cost
Easy Access Side Opening
High Quality Stainless Steel Locks
Spring Loaded Hinges that hold the top when you load and unload your trailer
Water Resistant Sealing Gasket
Safety Chains
1 Piece Torsion Axle - smoother ride
12" CHROME Wheels!!!
Full 18 Cubic Feet of Storage
4 Pin Male Flat Connector
High Quality Materials and Construction
Perfect for Camping Equipment, Luggage, Groceries, Band Equipment, Lake Gear, Small Furniture Pieces...
Spare tire? We feel that a spare tire mounted anywhere on the trailer is obtrusive. Not only does it distract from the appearance, but it also creates additional aerodynamic drag.
Just a thought: Do you carry a spare on your motorcycle?

Sleek, Aerodynamic Design - helps reduce fuel cost

Specifications:

Overall Dimensions

Length - 73"

Width - 55"

Height - 38.5"

Box Dimension

Length - 55"

Width - 41.5"

Height - 19"

Additional Dimensions

Tongue Length - 32.5"

Clearance to the bottom of the axle - 11.5"

Chassis Clearance - 16"

Empty weight - 153 lbs.

*A full 18 Cubic feet of Storage Space*

1 Year Manufactures Warranty

Paperwork ready to register in all 50 States

Shipping flat rate of $79.00 to commercial destinations. Additional $30 fee will apply to residential destinations. Insurance included, Except HI, and AK

Please read our feedback, and buy with confidence. Complete line of parts available

Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or comments: 1-864-787-1983

Thank you in advance for your business.

***To best maintain the integrity of the trailer, My Best Buddy Cargo Trailer XL is shipped - and will arrive - disassembled.***

***Easy to follow instructions are included, and assembly will only take approximately 2 hours.***

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=110285700038&rd=1

eBayISAPI.dll

"There is a guy on Ebay selling these trailers for around $700. That would mean the trailer plus hitch would be around $1,000. Seems like a pretty good deal (see below).
My Best Buddy Cargo Trailer XL"

Compared to the Piggy Backer

Buddy Cargo Trailer XL 55 inch width 153 lbs. 18 cubic ft. storage $695.00
spring loaded hinges, aluminum chasis, no spare shipping $79.00

Piggy Backer XL 48 inch width 170 lbs. 14 cubic ft. storage $895.00
has spare tire, chrome bumper, folding tongue stand & LED tail lights shipping $79.00

Looks like this trailer is in direct competition with the piggy backer

Wonder which one is more fuel efficient. 17 lb. less trailer or the 7 inch less width trailer? a little wind drag verses 17 lbs.

Last edited:
I ordered a Hondaline top box a while ago, and I'm still waiting patiently for it to arrive. In the meantime, I've been thinking more and more about getting a trailer. Most of them are pricey (in the $3,000 to $5,000 range), but I've been doing a little research and there are some basic trailers you can get for around $700 to $800, which is not much more than I'm spending on a Hondaline top box. If you look at the luggage capacity, there is no comparison; the trailers can hold a heck of a lot more than the topbox and saddlebags combined. I've also never liked the way topboxes carry the extra weight up high in the air; I think it's much better to have it down low, like in the saddlebags. And, if you use a hitch, the weight is on the hitch, which is even lower. I know there is something about towing a trailer that seems very un-motorcycle, but if you can get over that, it actually doesn't seem like such a bad idea. I used to think all the plastic on today's sport tourers also seemed un-motorcycle like, but I've got used to that. Maybe a trailer isn't far off on the horizon. I'd rather have an ST with a trailer than a Gold Wing that I got just for the extra luggage capacity. Am I missing something?

Question,,,Does your licence cover a trailer in america...

Question,,,Does your licence cover a trailer in america...

Yes, and some states don't even require a license plate on a trailer here!
I just can't get my mind wrapped around a trailer on a motorcycle. We did a 2 up 5,300 mile trip this past summer and carried everything we needed in side bags and top box. However, we did not camp.

I had the same problem. Three plus day trips, two up, wife can't pack "light", would like to camp some. I've got a Givi 52 on the back, huge tank bag, every square inch packed with something the wife can't go without......NOT ENOUGH ROOM. I bought a 16 cubic foot used trailer for $400. 10 in. tires with spare, single leaf, even came with a 28qt. coleman cooler mounted on the cooler rack. Bought a 1 year old customchrome hitch off craigslist for $200 "mounted but never used". Planning on a 7 day Colorado trip with the wife and her mom and dad (Connie folks from Texas) and camping is a must. Needless to say I went the cheap route and I am very pleased. I got the wiring kit off of Amazon ($35), blue sea power box (trailer setup was one to many to the battery so it was time). I figure $400 trailer, $200 hitch, $35 wiring, and $40 powerbox. 1 day in the garage, $675 complete and should last forever. I really like the uni-go but for the price.....It's too small. My brother pulls a bushtec with his HD Streetglide but, he is a high dollar yuppie if ya know what I mean. JP

I had the same problem. NOT ENOUGH ROOM. , he is a high dollar yuppie if ya know what I mean. JP

I carry 2 spare t shirts and one pair of jeans. I wash my socks and underwear every night. I sleep with my stich on. Plenty of room even on Harley or my ST1300 , if you know what I mean.
robert

Sorry about coming so late to the party, but since I've put better than 20k on my bike with the trailer, and a total of 54k on the bike, I figure I can give some perspective.

For riding solo, especially long trips including comfortable camping, (or when taking a half dozen N scale trains to an event ;) ) the trailer can't be beat. When its time to go two-up, as useful as the extra space in the trailer is compared to the top box and side bags, there is absolutely no way that the trailer can replace the back rest functionality of the topbox. Camping two-up is best done with both.

Top Bottom