Tried to replace the brake fluid - Fail

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Dude, I was going to call you and see if you were around for a spin. Got to be too late by the time I got out of here...next time!
Did you pass me heading north on hwy 9 near Boulder creek today?

OP
OP
sgio
Bike
2003 ST1300
I have to give a big thanks to Igofar!:clap2:
Larry called me up on Mother's Day and proceeded to fill my head will all things relating to the bleeding of my brakes.
That wasn't enough though, he then gave me three or four more (while you are in there) things to take care of that he finds need fixing all the time.
Oh and my inbox is over flowing with relevant photos!
Thanks Larry! :yr1:

Unfortunately, my back isn't feeling to hot and that's going to keep me out of the garage for a few days. Too much bending over the ST.
I will let everyone know how it goes. Thanks everyone who has given advice. I appreciate it!

OP
OP
sgio
Bike
2003 ST1300
I congratulate Mellow for the being closest to correct answer to my problem last week. The bubbles were coming from a bad connection to the Motion Pro tubing. The column of brake fluid in the hose was pulling air into the hose around the nipple. I got some more sturdy stuff at Igofar's suggestion and I used a spring clamp at the bleeder. I think I have successfully bleed the system, but time will tell.
Thanks everyone for the tips and help!

OP
OP
sgio
Bike
2003 ST1300
I was a bit concerned that I didn't have as firm a lever as I was expecting. I tried Igofar's tip to pull the lever in and clamp it there for a few hours and it was a good as gold then. I just got back from a ride and the brakes are in great shape.
Thanks everyone for the tips and particularly Igofar.:clap2: I also have returned the rear shock pre-load adjuster to its full range of adjustment at Igofar's suggestion. I was losing 4 full turns of adjustment that did nothing. Thanks again. My ST is back on the road.:03biker:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Glad to hear you got your brakes and preload adjuster sorted out.
Enjoyed talking to ya on the white courtesy phone. If you ever need anything or just want to chat, drop me a line.
Ride safe, and enjoy the bike.
Igofar

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Good to hear you got it fiq out...
I just did my system, but with a buddy....only time I used my vacuum bleeder was to clean out the resv containers.
Old way of manual pump/hold/open bleed/close/redo still works just fine. Not to mention the many beers we needed after! :)

Still, the hardest part I find of working on the bike is the plastic removal!

PS... anyone have a extra shoulder washer/bolt combo ( one of two under the wing cover ) for the farings from a wreck? Must have lost one in travels due to vibration...

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Some folks seem to think they have to open the bleed screws a full turn when just cracking them until fluid comes out is all it takes.

Now, for that back, you need to find one of the Harbor Freight coupons for their lift table. $299 and you'll never bend over to work on your bike again...unless you choose to! One of the best garage investments will ever make.

Top Bottom