Tripod worklight recommendation?

RCS

Within the next two weeks I need to change a valve shim on the right front cylinder and need some additional lights for my garage. I have never owned a tripod worklight so any guidance would be appreciated. Below are the ones I've identified as possibilities. I'd like to keep the purchase under $50, if possible but don't want to be "penny smart and pound foolish".

Which one would you purchase? Is there one that is better but not on the list below?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SQJT/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_02

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002YW2C8/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100655275&navFlow=3&keyword=tripod+work+light&langId=-1&searchRedirect=tripod+work+light&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.beans.EndecaDataBean@537b66f0&ddkey=Search

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I don't have the tripod but I have a couple of those 500w lights... wow, very bright... and they put off some heat.

The fluorescent ones will be more efficient and not as much heat but more of a glow vs the halogens.

Not sure if that helps you at all.

Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #
None of those lights are particularly well made but the fluorescent are safer because they are cooler and they use 1/5th of the electricity. The quartz ones get hot enough to set things on fire and can be dam irritating if they are close and shine on your neck so be careful. The flourescent is not quite as bright and it is a little more challenging to get a spot on the job as the light is often very well diffused. I,d still buy the fluorescent

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I own several of the lights (with and without tripod) from Harbor Freight. I use them to put LOTS of light in dark areas of big buildings, they work just great for that. I've used them for 'spot' work on MC's, they work just fine, with the noted heat problems being the greatest drawback.

I use them because I own them other wise, I have no comparison with the fluorescent lights, so no comment on your situation.

I have worked in shops with primary halogen and fluorescent lighting. I think I prefer the fluorescent IF THEY ARE BRIGHT ENOUGH. The halogen (or sodium) lights will leave shadow voids.

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

Thanks for the input. I went to Home Depot tonight and reviewed my choices. I purchased a Fluorescent 65W tripod worklight for $55 that was branded Husky - but made for Home Depot by a company called DesignersEdge.com. The packaging says that the light is the equivalent of a 300 watt bulb. The light was brand new stock and HD didn't have a replacement bulb so when I got home I ordered one directly from DesignersEdge for $16.

I was initially going to go with the Halogen 1,000 watt dual worklight on a tripod for $30 but figured my ST1300 right cylinder valve shim job with plastic removal and replacement could take up to 9 hours to complete(but my bet is I'll do it in 6 hours). With a 1,000 watt light system on for 9 hours I'd burn lots of electricity and create a tremendous amount of heat. So I decided to be "cool", go a little over my budget, and get the Fluorescent unit.

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

I am really happy with the Home Depot Fluorescent 65W tripod worklight that I purchased for $55.

So far I've used it to shine light on building a bicycle wheel - 2 hour precision job. Weather looks good on Saturday to get the shim change done and I look forward to using the new light.

The light creates a lot of light with no shadows and no heat. It is adjustable in terms of height and angle. Only downside is it has a very, very slight tint of blue to it. Overall, very satisfied with this purchase!

Top Bottom