Tupperware Repair

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
As I am getting things ready for the non-snow season I have some plastic to repair that needs my attention. On side panels one of the push pins for loss of a better word have detached from the body side panel. Any suggestions on reattaching those. See pic for reference. I also have a cracking and loss of plastic issue with the left side fairing cover and storage pocket. The area that needs help is in the lower left corner. No I do not have the missing plastic piece. Again any suggestions would be great.

Thanks as always for the input.

Attachments

With the side panel pin situation I have had great success with tacking the pin in place with a drop of crazy glue……..then flooding the base/crack with crazy glue and sprinkling baking soda on it. Foams up and sets immediately (that’s why you need to tack it in position first). Super strong bond. Not pretty but that doesn’t matter if it’s on the inside of the side panel. I have a pin I repaired that way three years ago and it’s still good.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
For the left fairing cover, I would try and acquire a used one on eBay, all years will fit. Having said that the ABS models have a switch panel, they will fit as well and you could get switches for 4 way flashers and driving lights to fit in that part of the panel

Bike
'93 ST1100
I have an Eastwood Hot Stapler I use for ABS plastic crack repairs. Going from the backside if you hit the Goldilocks point of in enough to hold it without too much, where it starts pushing out the paint side, the crack is hard to notice. For big gaps I bought a sheet of ABS on amazon and I cut off pieces with a dremel cutting wheel to patch and plastic weld them in place. Then I drill holes in the sheet of ABS and put the curls in a small jar with some MEK or acetone to make a thick "paint" to fill in and coat the area which can be sanded smooth after it cures. The Eastwood model is kind of pricey but there are some pretty cheap ones that will probably work as well:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=plastic+welding+kit&crid=3MCJPG2TOIU61&sprefix=plastic+weld,aps,137&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_12

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
I used gorilla gel glue and some fiberglass mudding tape on the inside to reassemble a smashed mirror cover that was in a half dozen pieces. Came out pretty good except for the rattle can paint match attempt I gave up on seeing the colour is not that close. Also have this scratched up pannier to deal with and I'm too cheap to get the whole bike repainted. Toying with the idea of vinyl wrap but can't decide on a contrasting colour, oh well, first world problems, lol.
Cover.jpg

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
On the pin, I put a cut off finish nail 'inside' the pin so when I use baking soda and super glue the nail gets bonded in giving it a bit more strength.
I've also done the same thing with JB Weld and 'welded' the nail inside.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
"Home Despot" made me laugh!

The superglue/baking soda is certainly an old tried-and-tested fix.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I did this one with some ABS sheet, Oatey and then dressed the corners with a soldering iron. The OP's part has less contact and greater leverage, so any repair seems questionable and if you can add a nail or something as UP suggested, I would.

Attachments

OP
OP
PmodelinUS

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
As always I would like to thank everyone for your suggestions. I ended up getting a sheet of ABS plastic to fix my left fairing cover and pocket. As you can see by the pics I was missing a chunk of plastic. So I cut the plastic to size and used some JB Weld to stick in it all back together and fill in any remaining small gaps. Pretty it is not but it does do the job. Plus it's in a spot that isn't usually seen. I also used the KB Weld to reattach the plugs to the right and left body pieces. Now if it will quit snowing every Friday. Uggghhhh!

Attachments

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I'm told that dissolving a piece of ABS plastic welding rod in some acetone (nail varnish remover) for 24 hours will make an excellent ABS bonding cement for hidden areas.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Bike
'93 ST1100
I just repaired the rear cowl on a '94 CB1000 so I could put it up for sale:
DSC07757.JPG

Stitched the crack and plugged gap
DSC07758.JPG

Melted some ABS shavings in MEK to fill and smooth the painted side
DSC07759.JPG

And, after a repaint Tues, it's ready to go
DSC07766.JPG

Bike
2020 BMW K1600GTL
I'm with Bush on this. The plastic is ABS. ABS cement can be found in the plumbing section of any hardware store is is formulated exactly for this material. Just make sure you sand off any paint/finish. I've also used craft ABS sheets to add material when needed.

Top Bottom