Tyre quandary. Michelin or B’stone?

Bike
'06 ST1300A
In Canuck Land, I checked pricing on the T31’s and it’s not bad… about a buck fifty plus tax for a rear, slightly cheaper than Avon Spirit STs.
Food for thought…:think1:

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
For my riding ability, I agree.
Articles that I have read have quoted various motorcycle racers, magazine motorcycle testers, motorcycle tire experts, etc., who all state that tire quality has increased so much that any tire available on the market will exceed the overwhelming majority of street rider's abilities, and exceeds the demands that anyone riding on public roads will place on them. This has been my experience as well.

I was using Michelin PR tires. Their prices kept increasing to the point where I could no longer see a justification for it. I tried Shinko Verge 011 based on many recommendations on this forum. They were perfectly fine with the same mileage. I had no complaints about them, so I bought another set. A set of Shinko tires cost me almost half of what the Michelin PR cost. If the Michelin gave me twice the mileage, or twice the performance that I could actually take advantage of, then maybe. They didn't give me any better mileage, and I can't ride to the limit of the Shinko tires let alone the Michelins, so there is no increased value for me. Unless I start racing or doing track days with my ST1300, I see no reason to pay twice the price for a set of tires that isn't giving me twice the value.

As you have stated that you are a new rider, my opinion about tire selection at this point in your experience curve maybe a little different.
My opinion is that it is not advisable for a new rider on a big heavy powerful bike like an ST1300 to be riding in a manner that tire selection would make any difference for anything other than mileage. For safety, a new rider should not be pushing himself, or this motorcycle, to the point that tire performance becomes a concern. The riding skills must be learned, practiced and developed before you get to the point where you can safely push any tire to its limits, let alone a premium tire. Until then, you should not even come close to needing that premium tire performance offered by the most expensive tires. I don't think that the most expensive and what is considered the best tires on the market are needed at this point. Spend the extra money on gas to gain the experience and the proficiency that you require to need premium tires.
Same feeling on my side about the Shinko Verge 011, half the price of the Michelin and pretty close to the same mileage, and no complaint about the grip dry or wet.
I am a little surprised that the Shinko are not more often considered as a good alternative to the more expensive brands.
However, even if the Michelin offers better control on trajectories and cornering, I can't justify spending twice the price for a "just a little better".

Bike
2008 ST1300
I'm definitely not an authority on tires, but I've had T31gts on my ST 13 and been very pleased. I'm a sport bike guy at heart, and find that the 31gts perform admirably at any pace I can reasonably hold on the road. If I'm really getting after it, I prefer the front a few pounds softer at 38 or 39 psi, back is fine at 42. I think this is more a limit of the front suspension, not the tires.

I have T32S on my Hornet, and find them subjectively good on that bike too. I would choose between the two based on price, when I was buying, the 32s where cheaper. If you ride a lot of rain, the 32s have a theoretical advantage.

I mount my own tires, and the 31gt rear in particular was an absolute nightmare to put on.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I mount my own tires, and the 31gt rear in particular was an absolute nightmare to put on.
Compared to others you have mounted, what made it so difficult? In the end, was it shear effort or was there a “trick” that helped you mount it?

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have been riding ST1100s/1300 for 30 years, and have suffered through many tire and oil threads. One thing I can promise is - if you mount your own tires manually, like I do, beware the Bridgestone. They have very stiff sidewalls and are made to tight rim tolerances. I have actually had to cut them off some bikes. Michelin, Pirelli, Metzler are much easier to mount and dismount.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I don't mind do-it-myself tire changes on a dualsport, as I figure I'll most likely have a flat out in the boondocks, but for the ST I'll ride to someone with a No-Mar machine.
The few people I know who have the wherewithal and the room to have one, seem willing to use it when called upon.
If I ever buy one, I'm sure I'll want to use it, too, including for tires and bikes that aren't my own.
They sure are nice tools.

Bike
2008 ST1300
Compared to others you have mounted, what made it so difficult? In the end, was it shear effort or was there a “trick” that helped you mount it?
Unbelievably stiff sidewall on the rear T31 GT. I mounted non GT t32s on my 919, nothing crazy.

I have found that metzlers usually go on a little easier. the GT t31 was so stiff that all my bodyweight wouldn't compress the carcass to put the beads in the middle. I bet you could ride it miles flat if you took it easy.

Bike
2008 ST1300
The "trick" is that you MUST get the bead into the center groove of the rim. If you try and fight the steel bead over the larger rim without working the angles to your advantage, and succeed; 1) you are very, very strong, and 2) something is damaged, whether it's the aluminum wheel or the tire itself. The extremely stiff tire carcass needs to be compressed to put the bead where it needs to be for the moment of stretching the tire over the rim.

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
My favorite tire is the PR4 but I only get around 7,000 miles out of the rear. This year I tried a Commander II, had to get one size taller and one size narrower on the rear and no option for the front so I put a PR4 on the front. The wet grip is a bit lacking on the Commander II BUT after 6,800 Miles I still have over 50% tread left. With more than double the mileage I will stick to the Commander II for long trips where I need the mileage, smaller trips will be PR4's.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I have no experience with the Bridgestone tires, but have bought many sets of Michelins and have always been happy with them. Amazing mileage from the Michelins.

Michael

The dealer where I stopped only had the Michelin Road 5 in a one size wider, one size smaller for the rear rim. Ok, what choice do I have? It was/is awesome, have about 8k on the back and 4 on the front with minimal signs of wear. They are wicked sticky and great in the rain. I know what I'm getting from now on.
I am assuming you went with the larger tire. How did that work out for handling? Would you recommend this? I would do backflips if I got a rear tire to get 8k miles.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I am assuming you went with the larger tire. How did that work out for handling? Would you recommend this? I would do backflips if I got a rear tire to get 8k miles.
I "went" with the 180/55, just recently put on another the same. Handling is great, I had the stock Battleax (10k miles) and it was fine, this was a noticeable "improvement" leaning over. A few thousand miles later I put on the matching front and it was a dream in the corners, leaned right in and planted, very predictable. Wet was just as comfortable. If you are aggressive with it count on more like 5k, of course where and how you ride is always a factor.

I "went" with the 180/55, just recently put on another the same. Handling is great, I had the stock Battleax (10k miles) and it was fine, this was a noticeable "improvement" leaning over. A few thousand miles later I put on the matching front and it was a dream in the corners, leaned right in and planted, very predictable. Wet was just as comfortable. If you are aggressive with it count on more like 5k, of course where and how you ride is always a factor.
5k is about the most I can hope for with the PR4's. The one PR5 I tried was about the same. The one set of T-31's were pathetic. I tried Darkside, but was not comfortable with zero clearance. Don't want to compromise wet performance, so just suffer with at least 4 tire set changes a year. Really a PITA if traveling a lot.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I like the Michelin Road 5 GT, even tho I holed the rear in under 400 miles.
All I could find last minute was an older Dunlop, but will try again to repair the Michelin.
After that, I'm seriously considering going Dark, and read every post and every thread.
I won't be grinding my swingarm.

Top Bottom