Valve Adjustment

STOC #
The mechanic who normally works on my bike tells me that he has NEVER had to change even one shim in an ST 1100 engine and in his opinion, the scheduled valve adjustments are a waste of time and money. This guy has been a Honda mechanic for better than 30 years. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Brian

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
The mechanic who normally works on my bike tells me that he has NEVER had to change even one shim in an ST 1100 engine and in his opinion, the scheduled valve adjustments are a waste of time and money. This guy has been a Honda mechanic for better than 30 years. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Brian
Probably a lot of truth to that. My 94 never needed adjustment in 75,000 miles.

Phil

I would not say that the ST11 never needs valve adjustments. It is very rare, and you can probably extend the checking. Mostly the clearances tighten up, which can lead to burnt valves eventually. I had to change two shins at about 90,000kms, both tightened up. I don't know if any had been done before that.

STOC #
Mechanic at my local dealer says the same thing - waste of time. That said, its so easy to do the valve check, I think you'd be foolish not to check them. Once you get the plastic off, the checking process is very simple.

I recently did mine for the first time at 18k, on my 2002 model. Every valve was dead center in the middle of the spec range.

OP
OP
stonecarver
STOC #
Thanks guys,

I fully intend to keep to the maintainence schedule. I was more or less just wondering about my mechanic's statement. Guess I need to get a shop manual and the proper tools and learn to do a few more things for myself.

Brian

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
The valve clearance specs on the ST1300 are rediculously tight. There is no reason for them to be plus or minus .03mm (.001"). They could easily be two or three times out of spec with absolutely no ill effects. Doing regular valve checks is more of a diagnostic function than anything else. Here is a very well written explanation on checking valve clearances. It's written specifically about old BMW's but it applies to all engines.

Ray

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I realize that this is an 1100 thread but I thought I would post this here in case anyone is looking for a way to record their valve clearances. It's a spreadsheet that allows you to record your clearance and the shim. It auto color codes to let you know if it is getting borderline or if it is out of spec. Now it color codes off of the service specs so use your discretion when looking at the sheet.

I'm getting ready to check mine soon so I wanted a way to record them and then just use a formula to help me find the shim size I need. I had to replace two shims at 48K and I had two that were close so I'm checking them now to make sure they aren't out of spec now.

Here's the link:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18634

Curt

Last edited:
Top Bottom