Valve Adjustments ST 1300 04

Someone did a valve adj at the last techSToc at Turbo City Tom's... can they or anyone who has done one tell me where they bought the shims and is there anything unique about the feeler gauges for these adjustments or will my standard set do?

thanks guys and looking forward to the next techSToc June 30 at Tom's place...

OP
OP
Thanks... I am seeing sets of shims for $95.00 is this necessary? From what I've heard the probability of actually needing a shim is pretty marginal... thoughts suggestions... is anyone going to be at techSToc on the 30th with shims that can be purchased if needed?

OP
OP

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I don't like having to stack two gauges to measure clearance and you will if you use metric gauges because there are no sets that cover the range with a single gauge.
I've got a set of inch gauges in 0.001" increments. The metric measurements are stamped there too. The shims are available in 0.025mm increments which is almost exactly equal to 0.001" It's easy to find a set like this, works for me and no need to ever stack guages.

STOC #
My 04' ST didn't need an adjustment untill the 62,000 mile check. At that time 2 were loose and one was on the tight end of the tolerance. I was lucky and swapping worked just right.

I had her checked at 16k at the dealer. At 32k and 44k I did the checks. I had a sneaking suspicion that changes may be required at this last check so I wussed out and had the dealer do the work. For $300.00 they did a great job

Time2Eat
Neil S.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
You can also do up a set of custom gauges by buying shim stock from someplace like my favorite hardware store. My gauge set comes up one short on the thin end, so I have one separate piece that fills in the gap.

I am seeing sets of shims for $95.00 is this necessary? From what I've heard the probability of actually needing a shim is pretty marginal...
The thing is that the first time you come up out of spec, you have no idea what size the shims in the valve train are and won't know what size replacements you need. At that point, you can either leave your valve train disassembled and wait for individual replacements or have a kit on hand so you can finish the job in one sitting.

So far, early valve checks have rarely required changes, but you never know...

--Mark

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Thanks... I am seeing sets of shims for $95.00 is this necessary? From what I've heard the probability of actually needing a shim is pretty marginal... thoughts suggestions... is anyone going to be at techSToc on the 30th with shims that can be purchased if needed?
That price will look like a bargain compared to what the dealer will charge you to perform an inspection and an adjustment. There's no debating the convenience of having a large selection of shims on hand either.

We have not done any valve adjustments at the TechSToc's. We have done several check's and have not found any that needed adjustment. Having the required shims would be a problem to do the adjustment on a Saturday.

My 04 is at 50K and may need adjustment at the next check. I am going to check with Orange County Honda to see how to get the proper shims.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 30th.

Thanks Tom

Is there an article for the valve checks, like the great ones for wheel removals, brake/clutch fluid flushing, etc.?
thanks guys.

Top Bottom