VERY hard rear pedal and slow stopping

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
My 2001 w/ABS seems to require a VERY high pedal pressure (rear) and then does not adequately slow the bike.
Fronts work like a champion....screeching halts and both rotors warm.
Rear application only slows the bike but not a lot. The rear rotor and right front are warm-ish.

I thought I would start by bleeding?

I thought I would ask here, because I hate taking the tupperware off, especially of not needed.

Thanks

Peabody

Bike
R1200rt
My 2001 w/ABS seems to require a VERY high pedal pressure (rear) and then does not adequately slow the bike.
Fronts work like a champion....screeching halts and both rotors warm.
Rear application only slows the bike but not a lot. The rear rotor and right front are warm-ish.

I thought I would start by bleeding?

I thought I would ask here, because I hate taking the tupperware off, especially of not needed.

Thanks

Peabody
Bleeding just gets air out of the system. If air was in the system pedal would be low soft or nonexistent.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I would check that your pistons move in and out without too much effort. Take the pads out and see if you can push them in and out by hand. I would also check the brake pedal so ensure it's lubricated and moves freely

Bike
VStrom 650
Peabody.......
Seized lever pivot?
Seized bent pad pins?
Seized piston? Don't attempt pushing the piston in until you've cleaned it with a little brake fluid and a shoelace.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Bike
ST1100
with ABS? If yes, I had similar ussie with seized ABS valve (I have early version of ABS, but assume that ABS modulators work in the same way). Had to diassemble the modulator, clean it and refill with new fluid)

Top Bottom