Water hose under thermostat

1678925741080.png

So after removing the thermostat cover, I began to move this hose to the side so in order to better access the V, where a nice rodent had left behind his collection of acorn shells, and heard a snap. I confirmed the hard plastic had indeed cracked. Can anyone confirm this is just a protective sleeve around the rubber hose? That's what it looks like in the parts drawing. TIA!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
1678925741080.png

So after removing the thermostat cover, I began to move this hose to the side so in order to better access the V, where a nice rodent had left behind his collection of acorn shells, and heard a snap. I confirmed the hard plastic had indeed cracked. Can anyone confirm this is just a protective sleeve around the rubber hose? That's what it looks like in the parts drawing. TIA!
That hose, hose G in the parts diagram, is exactly as you describe. It is a protective sleeve to help hold the proper cross section of the hose where it bends and also prevent chafing against the front cover. Age and repeated heat cycles probably hardened the sleeve.

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Hello. Your pic seems to reveal a leaky thermostat gasket. Just had that happen to me to with 40k on my thermostat.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Depending on how deep you dig, you might check the wiring harnesses that are visible. We have had a few threads describing rodent damage to knock sensor harness and other wires. If a mouse/chipper made a home atop your engine, he might not have gone out for meals.

Bike
2004 ST1300
While you’re in there I’d check the thermostat is working. They are known to go bad.
It should be in the fully closed position on a cold bike. Put it in a small pot of water then heat on your stove and check that it opens.
Replace that 0-ring and snug up all the hose clamps that you can access.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
While you’re in there I’d check the thermostat is working. They are known to go bad.
It should be in the fully closed position on a cold bike. Put it in a small pot of water then heat on your stove and check that it opens.
Replace that 0-ring and snug up all the hose clamps that you can access.
Also the observed operation of the coolant gauge can tell if the thermostat is working. If the t-stat is not operating correctly an ST1300 will not maintain three bars when being ridden. Sitting still it may warm up to three bars but when the bike starts moving the air flow through the radiator lowers the coolant temperature and the gauge drops to 2 or even 1 bar.. If the gauge goes to three bars in a few minutes and maintains three bars when riding the t-stat is operating normally.

OP
OP
jabbott
Hello. Your pic seems to reveal a leaky thermostat gasket. Just had that happen to me to with 40k on my thermostat.
Hi, that's actually a pic I stole from the internet for illustrative purposes, not my bike!

OP
OP
jabbott
Depending on how deep you dig, you might check the wiring harnesses that are visible. We have had a few threads describing rodent damage to knock sensor harness and other wires. If a mouse/chipper made a home atop your engine, he might not have gone out for meals.
Yup, many acorn shells around the alternator and under the airbox. Strangely no nesting materials.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mine was stuck 1/3 open (cold). My gauge always showed 3 bars.
Typically the 1300‘s failure mode is stuck open and the coolant gauge does the 1 to 2 bar dance going down the road. I guess yours at 1/3rd open allowed near normal coolant temperatures going down the road.

Top Bottom