Well I have taken the first step....

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Well Bigmak96 stopped out this afternoon. We were chatting a bit about some ST stuff and some unrelated computer stuff. He then asked if I wanted to take his 1100 out for a spin on the Darkside. I will say on the first couple corners I took I didn't notice anything different. They were both slow speed, come to a stop and roll into the corner. The next corner was a stoplight that I caught green so I was able to carry a little speed. That time I felt a little something that was different. Nothing that felt unsafe but different. I could get used to it. I also had a little bit of gravel and felt nothing that really concerned me. Mark said that he has about 3K miles on the tire so it is broken in.

One question that I had and Mark didn't have an answer for as he is new to the CT is how do you know when to replace them? Do they have wear bars in 3 places like a MC tire and you replace once you hit one, well at least get off your duff and put in an order for a new one at that point? Or do people just go by the tread depth measurements?

I really am leaning this way.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Car tires do have wear bars at several places around the tire. When to change is up to you...with how many miles we can get out of these, I'd say order a tire when yours gets close to, or at, the wear bars...then change it when at the wear bars. Even if you hit the wear bars, you could order a tire, ride a couple thousand miles while its being shipped, and not notice any real change in tread depth. I'll order mine when it gets close though, just to have it on hand. If you notice any bad wear before then, like cupping or wearing near the edges, I'd use that as a sign to order one. I haven't heard of any wear like that with a CT yet though, but they are a fairly new concept on an ST.

As a new Darkside rider, were you as surprised at how well it corners as many of us were?

Jim

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
As a new Darkside rider, were you as surprised at how well it corners as many of us were?
Yeah, I was. The hard thing is that Mark has an 1100. While I have one as well it is still different than a 1300 which I ride more and am more used to. The 1300 with the shorter wheel base, turns easier. So I did notice that it is a little harder to push into the corner. At least the initial turn in. Once it is leaning there really wasn't a difference that I could feel. Well maybe I could feel the tire deform a little under acceleration. Again nothing that is of concern. Just something that is a little different. This really is digging for something different. In all honesty Mark has a Crampbuster on the grip and I found that it was more of a distraction than anything else on the bike. I am not used to them as I had never ridden with one. I should have moved it around out of the way but I did a pretty short ride.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Not having ridden both the 1100 and 1300 darkside, I'm only guessing, but I would think the wider CT of the 1300 would make you feel grooves and uneven pavement more. That is the only negative side I have found with the CT, and its mainly at low speeds on cracked or angled pavement. In all honesty, MC tires do the same, just to a lesser extent.

Jim

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Mark has a Crampbuster on the grip and I found that it was more of a distraction than anything else on the bike.
I am always moving that thing Dave, we should have pulled it off but I didn't think of it.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Not having ridden both the 1100 and 1300 darkside, I'm only guessing, but I would think the wider CT of the 1300 would make you feel grooves and uneven pavement more. That is the only negative side I have found with the CT, and its mainly at low speeds on cracked or angled pavement. In all honesty, MC tires do the same, just to a lesser extent.

Jim
That was something Mark pointed out. The GW rim that he is using to get away with the CT is pretty narrow.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I am always moving that thing Dave, we should have pulled it off but I didn't think of it.
No worries. I would have pulled it if it were an issue. I wasn't going very far. It was nice to ride with it. I was thinking about getting one but might pass. I am fine with the crampbuster. I also have my BMW grips and bar ends set up so the springs really don't close my throttle and I have the Vista Cruise.

Thanks for letting me take it for a spin.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
No problem Dave, just doing my part to recruit more members for the Dark army.
I think I will try a run flat next time.
On the tire topic, the Goodyear Triple Tread Assurance has a great tread but it is not a run flat. If run flat is not a must have it may be available for the 1300, I don't know for sure. The wingers like it, but again it is not ROF

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I think my only concern about a run flat (if available) would be that I would imagine it would be a bear to mount. Probably almost as hard as a BT020 or BT023...

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I think my only concern about a run flat (if available) would be that I would imagine it would be a bear to mount. Probably almost as hard as a BT020 or BT023...
I personally wouldn't go run flat. The GL guys had that fad, but no need IMHO. Also too stiff, will be like a brick. If you want handling like an MC tire, stick with a nice all season that is more compliant than a run flat would likely be.... regular tires are built much heavier (thicker) than MC tires already, and I think are less prone to punctures. If you're worried about flats, get a TPM system, it does give you peace of mind.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I personally wouldn't go run flat. The GL guys had that fad, but no need IMHO. Also too stiff, will be like a brick. If you want handling like an MC tire, stick with a nice all season that is more compliant than a run flat would likely be.... regular tires are built much heavier (thicker) than MC tires already, and I think are less prone to punctures. If you're worried about flats, get a TPM system, it does give you peace of mind.
Yeah, I agree. I doubt I would go runflat even if it were an option. My father has an 03 Corvette that came with runflats. When it was time to change tires he had a hard time finding a shop that could change them. Most places didn't have a tire changer with enough power to get them off. Being I mount my own tires it isn't something I would want to mess with. Not with spoons and a Mojo lever.

I do have a TPM on my bike so I am not all that worried about it. I think it was mentioned not because of the runflat ability but rather that it may deflect less in the corners. Like I said though, what I felt was different but not of much concern.

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
Well when my hankook tar gets in, I'll be joining the darkside club too. I will put a new BT 023 on the front too. I've been running a CT on my FJR for many months now. It has outlasted one front already so will see how many front tires it will outlast. If the ST handles like the FJR does, I am pretty used to it and will be happy to get a tire that lasts longer than one oil change.

JDP

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have to say I'm happy with the lifespan of my CT. I'm not exactly the ideal target for a CT, with 90%+ of my miles on this tire being curvy northern New England roads, and I abused it pretty hard. A fair amount of 2-up riding, lots of fast corners, hard acceleration & braking. At first I thought I would wear the edges out before the middle by doing this kind of riding with a CT. I'm at around 11k miles now, the point where my 2nd MC tire would be very close to worn out and ordering a third. The tire has worn very evenly! In fact, if anything, the center has worn just a bit more than the edges. This is indicating that I'm running too much air. Tread depth is down to around 4/32"...like I said, I abused this tire. I think I can get 15-18k miles out of this tire before replacing it.

I WILL be buying another Hankook CT to replace this one with. I've shown that, at minimum, this tire will last 3x as long as a MC tire, even when being abused. I think I might be able to get that to 4x as long if I run a slightly lower pressure. I'm guessing the extra lifespan would be relative to how long your MC tires normally last. For example, if you are a mild rider who gets 10k out of a rear tire, I'm willing to bet you could get 30k out of a Hankook CT.

Jim

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
Boy I like the look of the CT...would really like the endurance of one..RedST just posted this thread on CT subject... to bad my insurance won't allow them...

Linky

Top Bottom