What did you do with your ST1100/ST1300 today?

I called the white courtesy phone with an oil question and since the goto whisperer recommended supporting the blue I made the change. Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 and a Bosch 3300 filter. $12 cheaper than my last mother Honda oil change. @Igofar always waiting with baited breath for a question to answer. :biggrin:

I installed a Progressive rear shock to replace the original unit on our 1991. Just six blocks from the house it began the characteristic bouncing with no apparent damping in either direction. No evidence of fluid leakage.
We switched bikes and resumed our trip. The new Progressive arrived yesterday.

Installed my new Airhawk and then I took the ST for a short 50-mile ride today, I made it OK, but I have to reposition the Airhawk. This was my first ride since I finished my radiation treatments.
Ive been struggling with my Air Hawk too. Seems my boys get scrunched up against the tank because the air escapes to the back of the cushion. My seat is at the lowest setting and i have risers on my bars. Im over 6 ft tall. Ive been also thinking of just refoaming my OEM seat to be softer. We will see.

Presently at 110-120 klm/hr i hear very unpleasant howl or whistle from my cowling. I noticed a couple clips missing so replaced those. Also removing the cowl under the windshield found the rubber weather flap had come away from 2 of the little washers that hold it in place.
I did try 100 MPH tape over the 2 vents and that stopped it (aaahhh ) but the heat n tape came off.

Anybody else experience this annoying sound? Thanks.
DaveIMG_20210615_144145.jpg

Received and installed an SW-Motech PRO City tankbag on my 1300.

It's not on the recommended list from the fatherland, but it fit quite well and offered only minimal interference at full lock with MCL bar risers installed (not sure which revision I have).

I had to remove a RAM mount from the clutch lever clamp and reposition my ebay switch bracket from below to above to prevent serious full lock inference on the clutch side. As installed the down windshield button contacts first and neither the horn or turn signal buttons contact the bag due to the shape of the switchgear pod. On the throttle side, the starter does not contact the bag either.

I'm very impressed with the design and construction quality of the SW-Motech products and I'm excited to spend some time with it.

The only thing keeping me from running wild with the PRO City (11-14l ) is that they also sell the PRO Trial (13-18l ). I'd like the larger bag but its width at the front is about 1-2" greater, right where any interference would be the worst. I need to visit their showroom in Portland, OR to test it to know for sure.

However, as is, I can recommend the SW-Motech PRO City tankbag for your ST1300 with or without bar risers (note, my risers position them back and up, so my photos show what I think would represent a worst case scenario).

1623788894224.png

1623788939278.png

1623788975333.png

1623788999659.png

Ive been struggling with my Air Hawk too. Seems my boys get scrunched up against the tank because the air escapes to the back of the cushion. My seat is at the lowest setting and i have risers on my bars. Im over 6 ft tall. Ive been also thinking of just refoaming my OEM seat to be softer. We will see.

Presently at 110-120 klm/hr i hear very unpleasant howl or whistle from my cowling. I noticed a couple clips missing so replaced those. Also removing the cowl under the windshield found the rubber weather flap had come away from 2 of the little washers that hold it in place.
I did try 100 MPH tape over the 2 vents and that stopped it (aaahhh ) but the heat n tape came off.

Anybody else experience this annoying sound? Thanks.
DaveView attachment 276608
Yes, I have the same issue, but I am not up to tearing the fairing apart to fix it. I notice that if I lower the shield a bit, it stops.

Received and installed an SW-Motech PRO City tankbag on my 1300.

It's not on the recommended list from the fatherland, but it fit quite well and offered only minimal interference at full lock with MCL bar risers installed (not sure which revision I have).

I had to remove a RAM mount from the clutch lever clamp and reposition my ebay switch bracket from below to above to prevent serious full lock inference on the clutch side. As installed the down windshield button contacts first and neither the horn or turn signal buttons contact the bag due to the shape of the switchgear pod. On the throttle side, the starter does not contact the bag either.

I'm very impressed with the design and construction quality of the SW-Motech products and I'm excited to spend some time with it.

The only thing keeping me from running wild with the PRO City (11-14l ) is that they also sell the PRO Trial (13-18l ). I'd like the larger bag but its width at the front is about 1-2" greater, right where any interference would be the worst. I need to visit their showroom in Portland, OR to test it to know for sure.

However, as is, I can recommend the SW-Motech PRO City tankbag for your ST1300 with or without bar risers (note, my risers position them back and up, so my photos show what I think would represent a worst case scenario).

View attachment 276617

View attachment 276618

View attachment 276619

View attachment 276620
Thanks for posting the info on the tank bag....but OMG! :eek: after seeing the condition of your clutch fluid, I had to run in and start chewing on Rolaids :rx:
:WCP1:

Installed my new throttle assist and test drove the equipment for 2 hours. While not perfect, I can honestly say that this is the first time I ride the ST for that amount of time with no numb fingers, cramped throttle wrist and neck and shoulder stiffness at the end of the ride. Refreshing!

Necessary piece of equipment. Allowed me to concentrate on other aspects of riding instead of constantly adjusting throttle wrist position to increase blood flow and reduce cramping. Nice!

D34C6C34-D312-4E3D-937B-8E95D43EF730.jpeg

...... constantly adjusting throttle wrist position to increase blood flow and reduce cramping.

I am very lucky to not have these types of issues... YET... but that definitely sounds awful.

But, I HAVE had a sprained ankle recently, and of course, it was my LEFT ankle, so it was getting used a LOT until I was up to HWY speeds.
Once cruising along, I'd have to shift my foot position every few minutes to ease the pain.

So, while I may not understand your exact feelings, I understand the basics of it! And I'm quite glad you've been able to find relief!! :thumb:

It was a good 2 months before I healed enough ride without issues... :biggrin:

But, I HAVE had a sprained ankle recently, and of course, it was my LEFT ankle, so it was getting used a LOT until I was up to HWY speeds.

Ouch, a sprained left ankle… not sure I would have been riding but you are right; small adjustments in positioning make all the difference.
I rode again today and got to fiddle with the TA some more and I really think this is a difference maker, at least for me. I also don’t understand how the ST was never equipped with a proper cruise control given the fact that it is built for and loves those extended rides. I’m sure someone will let me know….
I appreciate your feedback and hope you are finding some pain free thrills in the saddle.

Cheers

Decided to test the new inter-provincial freedom bestowed upon us by our provincial government. Ontario agreed to restore province to province travel between Ontario and Quebec as well as Ontario and Manitoba this week.
Nice to get over to Quebec again after more that a year.
Nothing crazy; just a nice ride up to Tremblant and lunch in St-Agathe where they had the largest Adirondack chair I’ve ever seen.

EB7197D5-13CF-4DBC-B63C-F067A34CFC5C.jpeg9E8E676D-40E4-490E-A65D-884F00848426.jpeg

My excursion reminded me that during Covid, cagers in Quebec have not improved their driving skills (a little extra head on a swivel today).
All in all, a great (‘cuz I made it back).

Anyone else get hip issues?
Oh, yes! Right hip was replaced years ago, left hip needs one. I cannot straighten my left leg completely, so my upper body leans forward if I try to take a full stride with my right leg.

Once I'm on the bike, everything is okay, until I have to stop, and I have to use both legs because keeping the bike almost upright without tipping is difficult with either one alone.

My knees start to burn like fire after a while, so I added PSR blades which help tremendously. Sometimes, I ride with my right foot forward and my left foot on the peg for shifting.

I often feel like Jake in Avatar. I can't walk in the real world, but once on my machine, it all disappears and I can fly. :run1:

Back
Top Bottom