What is this Fork Spacer setup

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just opened up a pair of forks (non ABS) from a 2003 Police bike and did not recognize this setup.
Instead of a tube/spacer cut to length for preload, this one has a spring with a shorter tube/spacer inside the spring.

I would like to know what this is, and who makes it, or anyone has seen this before.
Could this be a standard setup on Police models?

2003 ST Forks (4) (Small).JPG

2003 ST Forks (3) (Small).JPG

2003 ST Forks (6) (Small).JPG

2003 ST Forks (9) (Small).JPG

Have not been inside a fork yet, so I cant help. But I'd like to hear if this is stock, or something police special. :bigpop:

I am going to say aftermarket or custom.

The 2003 ST1100P fiche looks just like other ST1100 forks.

I had looked at that as well and tried to see if it could be from Race Tech or Traxxion.
I decided to call the police force on monday, that the bike came from, and see who did their maintenance.

I think I just figured it out. It is from Works Performance "Dual-Rate Fork Spring Kit"

It has the works pro series shock so I should have looked there first.

See the picture below.....

dual_rate_fork_spring_kit.jpg

I had a Works fork springs kit on my first ST and thought the springs might be Works...but that preload spacer doesn't look stock...we used a PVC pipe spacer.

If I recall the police ST comes with slightly stiffer straight rate fork springs so the kit gives a softer initial spring rate.

That's an interesting setup. I have a P model, and the forks are the same as the pre-96 ABS models. The only change is the fork oil is 10W. No other changes unless specified by the police force buying the bikes.

This bike has been set up with Heli Bars, lowered foot pegs, and in dash voltmeter where the headlight adjuster normally is placed. It looks like they went with the Works setup, up front and their rear shock as well. I haven't pulled it yet but it looks to be the pro series.

dduelin, I almost think they would have used the works spring and not the stock spring. As you say if the police bikes came with a straight rate then I don't think I would be able to tell the difference. Don't think there are any markings on any springs I have ever seen.

Hey Gymbo, I'm going to contact Works about the setup, with oil wt. & height etc. but may have to come back to you about how you set up yours. The second picture down shows the spacer and it is PVC with a hole in it.

I'm not going to get to this project until the end of Dec. Have a couple of other projects ahead of it.

Hey saaz, this is not a ABS model which kind of surprised me. Maybe it should have been, then it might not have wrecked.
Not sure that I mentioned this before but it has been laid down.

Thanks for the input guys.

Ok....that makes more sense. I thought it I was looking a single piece with the spring on it.

It was 1997 when I helped a friend put the Works springs on my first ST...I don't remember any specifics of the install.

Ok....that makes more sense. I thought it I was looking a single piece with the spring on it.

It was 1997 when I helped a friend put the Works springs on my first ST...I don't remember any specifics of the install.

I don't remember what I did yesterday so I understand.
It might be awhile before I get to this one and not sure who I will be setting the bike up for.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom