What is this?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Fair enough, I'll quit worrying about it.
I'm still curious as to how you came upon it. As I asked previously – do you remember removing it from something on the bike? Or did you find it in a pile of stuff or on the floor next to it?

So you inherited the bike and not owned it from new. Scour the bike again and you'll probably find some third-party bit that was added before you had the bike.

If it's a cap similar to those on the ends of AC plugs as I mentioned earlier it's possible that it was to insulate electric terminals. That's not it's purpose on AC plugs but if you have exposed terminals of some unknown device or accessory you might want to ensure there's no power to it somehow from another source. Bare metal contacts out in the wild are probably a good thing to a void as a matter of GP.

It's odd that it's black rubber but looks gold in the pic. Must one of those internet optical illusions.

OP
OP
I'm still curious as to how you came upon it. As I asked previously – do you remember removing it from something on the bike? Or did you find it in a pile of stuff or on the floor next to it?

So you inherited the bike and not owned it from new. Scour the bike again and you'll probably find some third-party bit that was added before you had the bike.

If it's a cap similar to those on the ends of AC plugs as I mentioned earlier it's possible that it was to insulate electric terminals. That's not it's purpose on AC plugs but if you have exposed terminals of some unknown device or accessory you might want to ensure there's no power to it somehow from another source. Bare metal contacts out in the wild are probably a good thing to a void as a matter of GP.

It's odd that it's black rubber but looks gold in the pic. Must one of those internet optical illusions.
I think I found it on the rear fender after taking most of the cover and airbox off (and putting everything back together, excepting the seat), I remember pulling it off, which is why I know those two bits that look like an ac plug are how it attaches. I'm not technically the first owner, but it's always been in the family, and I know how little servicing my father did (I think the biggest service was replacing the tip over sensor that failed rather dramatically years ago), let alone adding anything after market.

It's due for another service (oil, steering stem, maybe rebuilding the clutch slave), so I may have it taken down similarly soon.

Top Bottom